Re: NiCad SpotWelder?

>> "Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the Dark Remover"" wrote >> in message news:c375r4$6blpb$ snipped-for-privacy@hades.csu.net... >> >>> I soldered a wire onto a battery once. It caused the internal battery >>> contact to become intermittent. I'll _never_ do that again. >> >> I've soldered more than 100 cells and never had a problem. >> >I've soldered more than 100 cells, and never had a problem too. >If you'r doing it right, the soldering iron should be touching the battery >for under half a second, but still result in a fully wetted joint. > >Done the same for a few Li-ion cells too.

I've soldered probably 300-350 cells, from AAA to D, and never had a problem. Preparation and a high-heat-capacity iron is the key. The correct flux also helps a lot. I use Lonco CF430 and it makes a huge difference, the solder runs like water. I can always touch the cell without any pain, just as soon as I can put the iron back in it's stand, so nothing in the cell is getting very hot.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Don't know about CD welders, I experimented for a while, and never got very far. I do now have a very neat little spot welder using a MOT and about 3 turns on the secondary. A 555 timer and SSR on the pri let me set times from 50-500mSec. I also have a measure of current control by switching in a 10w WW resistor in the pri. IIRC, it's 22 Ohms. All very trial and error, but it does make the neatest little spot welds.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox