Re: 12V DC to rectified mains

So light bulbs don't work on DC?

Yes but a mains light bulb almost certainly won't work on rectified mains, where as a switch mode power supply will.

Reply to
CWatters

I can believe that of flourescent lights. But a plain incandescent bulb should work fine as long as the voltage is correct. If you full wave rectify 120 volts AC to 120 volts DC, the total RMS voltage is still there and the bulb being nearly a pure resistive circuit won't care.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil-news-nospam

--- I used to work night shift, and in order to be able to sleep comfortably during the day what I used to do was to connect the lamp in my bedroom to DC, but connect it with the polarity backwards so instead of making light it made dark. Also, I didn't have to use the air conditioner since it made the room nice and cool.

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

mains,

Why can't you just use one of those 'black light' bulbs so you can have it on at night without disturbing you? I found too that you can make these cheaply yourself by recycling old 'normal' light bulbs. What the manufacturers don't tell you is that they don't actually 'blow' as people always thought - they just turn into 'black light' producers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

mains,

Oh I see now. I assumed they had output capacitors to produce rectified and smoothed DC not just rectified AC. (That would mean about 300V DC from the

220V AC mains in Europe) but I guess they don't need output caps as there are caps in the switch mode power supply that they are intended to drive.
Reply to
CWatters

"Ken Taylor" wrote in news:c4hv5v$2fkd15$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-76636.news.uni-berlin.de:

! GROAN ! Hey, just get a pair of cat eyes like I have.

Nevil

Reply to
Nevil Bill

Well, many years ago I spoke to an engineer at Stoet Electronics in the Hague (the Netherlands) who had been working on this very Idea. I won't print a telephone number here, but if you care, drop me an e-mail.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Thanks but I think we have solved the problem another way now.

Colin

Reply to
CWatters