Question about making things "Turbo" or pulsing.

I need to make a swith send a pulsing signle. Low voltage for a video game constoller. Can this be done with resistors or diodes? Whould thay have something like this at radio shack?

Reply to
teknogeek1300

555
Reply to
John Fields

Depends on what you're comfortable with. One way would be a monostable where the rising edge of the pulse triggers an astable. This could be built out of discrete components or 555 timers (all available at Radio Shack). If you don't want a delay (as in how computer keyboards normally have a small delay before they start to auto-repeat) then a single astable oscillator (again, discretes or a 555 timer) would do the trick.

Another approach would be a little 8-pin microcontroller with an internal RC oscillator, so no crystal or external clock would be needed, just power, ground, signal in, signal out. Might even be cheaper than doing it with discretes. Radio Shack doesn't carry single microcontrollers and what they do have (Basic Stamp) is overkill for this. An ATtiny13 at about $1.40 qty one (Digikey) would be dead simple to program for this.

You could fancy-up either approach with an enable switch, variable delay, variable firing rate, indicator LEDs, sound, ...

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thanks! I'll look into thoes 555's. Sounds the easiest. I'm a self tought person so this help. I know all the other stuff etc. Thanks!

Reply to
teknogeek1300

Wow, anybody got alink to the's 555 things at radio shacks site? lol.

Reply to
teknogeek1300

In their infinite wisdom, RS has these listed under "transistors and analog ICs" and, even more helpfully, doesn't find them in a search for "555". Look for part number 276-1723 for the single timer (LM555) and part number 276-1728 for the dual (LM556).

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Google?