Current Limiter

Hi,

For example I want to set the current limit of the input to say 10 Ampere. What kind of component can I put between it and the source. I can't use a fuse because it will blow up. I want the input to be at maximum

10 Ampere even if the circuit is requiring 30 Ampere or more or a hundred.

Thanks.

Cos

Reply to
Cos

Use a switchmode chip which drive a external mosfet, most of those devices have a current limit function, the classic is the 78S40 (I think).

Chris

Reply to
exxos

Can they accept 12 volts 10 ampere DC current limit function? How are they connected? Any diagram or pls describe in more details. Thanks.

cos

Reply to
Cos

---

VIN>----+---D S-------------------+ | G | [R] | | | | [RL] +-----+ | | | D /+|------+ G--[R]--+-< | | S | \-|--+ | | | | [RS] | [POT]----------+---------+-----------+

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

The chip itself will go upto 40VDC, the current is only limited by the mosfet used. A simple google search for 78S40 pdf will give you all the info you need. Note that this is a old device now but really easy to hook up and I've ran this with a 12V 30amp constant load.

Chris

Reply to
exxos

outhouse express really killed that :-(

Chris

Reply to
exxos

If it is a 12V circuit and if you don't need a very accurate current, headlamp bulbs work quite well. They are better than just a resistor because the resistance when they are cold is quite low, but it rises when they are hot. You can figure out the right number of headlamps to put in parallel.

It is easy to get free headlamps with one filament in them, just get used ones which are supposed to have two filaments but one filament has burned out so they had to be replaced.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

--
Look at it using a non-proportional font like Courier.
Reply to

I think he did. His drawing looks ok to me if I copy it into notepad and set a fixed pitch font. It's probably the font you are using.

Reply to
CWatters

--
I don't understand what you mean by "his" drawing.  I posted the
original in Courier New, and if "he"  had his newsreader set to