power supply question

Hi! Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current consumption 1.5A (at .5W). The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without harming the radio? Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

Thanks!

Please cc: my email address if possible.

Louis snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
lou

If you MUST post your question MULTIPLE times, use this technique

*-*-*-marked-as-Read-in-ALL-*-groups+Newsgroups.line

Reply to
JeffM

Yes. You can't push amperage through a device so even if you had a 1000 amp supply if it were regulated at 12v your radio would be fine. Here is a simple analogy that uses plumbing. Think of voltage as the water pressure in the pipe. You use too much pressure and you can make your water hose explode. (well maybe works for this) Think of the amperage as the size of the pipe. If the pipe is 4 inches but is only 45psi it will not harm the hose.

The same holds true for your house's power line. You probably have 400 or more amps avaible at 120v but things only use as many amps as they need.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Google groups has munged your email address such that we can't see what it was. Otherwise, you've just invited every spamer in the world to hit your mailbox, how could you possibly pick out an answer from all that spam? You should have disguised your email address along the lines of Louis?_nospam_ATmsnDOTcom and then tell people to remove _nospam_ as if we really aren't smart enough to do so without being told. OR are too dumb to figure out what AT and DOT really stand for. Yet that silly bit of stuff allows you to put your email address in places where it can be used but still not read by spam-bots. But, it's also bad etiquette to ask for an email answer in a news group as that way no answer shows up in the news group and that defeats the whole purpose of the news group to start with.

Having done what you want to do myself, I can state that you won't be happy with most "DC power supplies" in that they will make so much noise as to make listening to the car radio a non-pleasent experiance. None have passed the hum test as far as I am concerned and any that are well enough filtered will be very expensive to purchase. Perhaps a better solution would be to use a car battery with a cheap battery charger and charge the battery when you are not listening? I have my charger set up on a 110 volt timer such that after 6 hours or so of charging it shuts off as I have removed the "on" triggering device from the timer it only turns off now. I charge my battery twice a month and expect it to last several years more and it already has two years so far. I have a 4 amp charger that is some

30 years old and is more than enough for the job at hand.

Your comment on "would gain any improvement in sound." indicates a severe lack of knowledge on the subject of electronics. No, there will be no improvement in "sound" (?) that way. Your amperage draw will only be as much as the radio needs to use as a general statement. If you force more amperage into it by means of using higher than the nominal range of car voltage of 10--13.75 volts then you risk damaging the radio severely - so don't do that!! If you DON'T use a car battery to act as a power supply sink you may wind up with higher than nominal voltage anyway, all depending on exactly just what power supply or battery eliminator you are attempting to use here. Again any battery eliminator or voltage regulated power supply filtered adequately enough to pass a "hum" listening test will cost 3 to 10 times as much as a standard, plain jane 4 amp battery charger like mine ($40). Trickle chargers will ruin car batteries if left on permantly and so-called battery maintainers tend to ruin batteries as well. The only method I have found to work for more than a year at a time is the one I currenty use - a car battery that gets charged every other week or so for 6 hours or so ONLY.

Reply to
melee5

used to run a car stereo and 6 disc autochanger from a pc AT power supply. The old type with the switch on the box.

However, you will be lucky to find one these days.

[...]

Vertuas