circuit that watches for phone ring and resets external device

Hi all,

I'm looking for either a circuit, kit or prebuilt device that will hook up to a phone line and when I dial that extension it will reset my DSL modem and router.

All I need it to do is sense the incoming ring voltage momentarily interrupt the power.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks vp

Reply to
visiperl

A relay connected to the bell circuit ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes that is correct. I dabble with electronic circuits but am not proficient enough to do it without some type of schematic or even a kit build of some type.

Thanks, vp

Reply to
visiperl

I don't have a complete design ready, but I suggest using a NE-2 neon lamp with a 100k resistor as part of the input circuit. The reason is that ringing voltage is the only thing on a phone line that will trigger an NE-2, and if you use one, you'll be ensured of absolutely zero conduction (no leakage or load) when the phone isn't ringing.

You might even detect the triggering of the NE-2 photoelectrically. That will completely eliminate any questions of grounding between your telephone circuit and your other equipment.

From there, maybe a 555 monostable working a solid-state relay in the AC power line to your DSL router.

Or... Why not figure out why the router needs resetting frequently, and fix the problem?

Reply to
mc

Do you have access to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic? Hmmm. I'm guessing not since you're from google groups.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Use the R7, C3, B1, C4, R8 and O1 setup in this schema:

OBones

Try

With any luck you can use the contact with the reset button instead of cycling the power, which might need a second relay.

E. Tappert

Reply to
Eric Tappert

Use a neon bulb (NE2 or similar) with a faily high series resistor (22k to 100k) and connect it across the phone line. Couple the neon bulb to a photodiode or some other photo sensor. The photo sensor is connected to your reset circuitry, whatever that may be. If you're using a Westell DSL router, you may be running traffic that crashes the router. Westell routers work fine for plain vanilla traffic. If you're using peer to peer programs, Westell routers will barf on some types of traffic.

--
Mark
Reply to

Hello Mark,

I am using a Westell modem. It needed several resets a day in the beginning, now much better. I believe it's because of hickups at the provider's side but that was the reason to keep this modem here in the office. Ideally it should be in the LAN closet. A power cycle is the only way to reset it without opening the unit.

To the OP: A simpler method might be to buy a remote controlled power outlet. On sale these can sometimes be had under $20 with the remote. No mess. Just plug it in ... done.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hi mc,

The router needs resetting due to a bug in the firmware. Sadly, the latest release of their firmware adds a very valuable feature on one hand (ie QoS), yet introduces a bug that when connected via end point vpn for more than a couple of hours causes the router to lock up.

So for me, since I utilize the QoS with a VoIP pbx, the logical solution would be to implement a simply reset mechanism so I can call in and hit that extension to reset the router.

Thanks, vp

Reply to
visiperl

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Hi Graham,

Yes I do have access, however, was traveling at the initial time of the post, thus decided to use google to get the ball rolling.

thanks, vp

Reply to
visiperl

Thanks I will check this out.

vp

Reply to
visiperl

Sweet! Now that's a beautiful idea.

I'll order one this evening.

Thanks, vp

Reply to
visiperl

Hi Joerg,

I've looked around for the outlets with remote reset and sadly haven't found one for less than about $119. I'll keep my eyes open though.

regards, vp

Reply to
visiperl

I got one at Rat Shack a few years ago for about $15.00. It looks just like a coffee timer, but without the dial, and the transmitter is about the size of a key fob, with "on" and "off" buttons.

There was a thread on this some weeks back, and the consesus seemed to be that using a phone ring signal is a bad idea, unless you can get a phone that will block everything except your own phone - a wrong number would take your system down for the reset duration.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Or set it up for your phone to be answered by an old Hayes Smartmodem, and the reset to occur when the modem detects a connection (not merely a ring). Then you could reset your system by calling your home phone by modem, but not by voice.

Reply to
mc

Nah, check X10. Their web site has become very poor, intrusive pop-ups and all that. IMHO it now borders on being unprofessional and hurts their business. X10 technology is not all that reliable but when used for something non-critical it's ok. IIRC they used to have a deal with one receiver module and a remote for $19.99. May be more now. But check in your local big box HW store. You may have to ask someone because it's often hidden on a remote shelf.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Ok, did a quick check on X10's site and this might possibly do it:

$19.99. But first you'd have to call them whether the red button thing can turn the relay in the transceiver on and off as you want it. Probably you won't need the chime module in there but at that price, who cares? Anyhow, if you do X10 make sure that the modem mains power is switched via an appliance module, not via a lamp or dimmer module.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

the problem is almost certainly dodgy firmware in the router, the commercially available fixes probably involve buying a new one from a different maker.

It's probably eaiser to switch the low voltage supply to the router (these things are typically powered by a wall-wart) and that'll give you something to run the relay off too...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

unless he can whistle up a V.21 carrier :) , I've seen it done.

--

Bye.
   Jasen