New Age "wine enhancement"

He only acts short, especially in the presence of entrenched stupidity.

Reply to
dpierce

Very well put.

Here are a couple of comments, saved from newsgroup postings at the time.

--

"The 'proof by elegant and misleading assertion' is a common tactic in net.audio, and indeed in the audio world at large. This tactic, coupled with those individuals who have vested interests, is another one of the reasons that the audio industry is 20 years behind the state of both the analog and digital art, and lagging further behind as I write."

-- jj, , net.audio, 23 Sep 1985

"Inform thyself."

-- snipped-for-privacy@alice.att.com, , rec.audio, 1 Mar 92 16:43:19 GMT

Reply to
Max Hauser

When tubes were the only amplifers there were and stereo wasn't even experimental, the ancestors of today's audiophools swore that the best acoustic phonographs would always sound better than any of this new electronic nonsense. That may even have been true for a while, before the invention of negative feedback, but mostly it was the old "Old is better!" response that's been around since a flint knapper pointed out that his best blades were sharper than the new copper ones.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

their

out

very

So true, and yet people still debate which one is better, clutching at microscopic differences in op-amps etc, or even use valves in them to actually make them sound different from the rest. And then there are those who debate endlessly that vinyl is still superior somehow.

I see no sign of it evolving. Ancient Greece at least had real democracy for most (but not all) Most primitive cultures had leaders that were followed almost universally without question. Every permutation of leadership has been tried at some time or another, and in fact most are still being tried in one country or another today. None is universally accepted yet, and I can't foresee that any will either. Or even the specific direction of the evolution process you seem to think is happening.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It might be instructive to look not at leadership, but followership. Few want to lead, but many want to follow. It's easier, and allows them to get on with whatever they =do= want to do with their life.

To that end, I see multinational corps, mass marketing, and computer programs as being the new (untried) things that people will follow, mainly because it's easier, and (in the light of software) reduces the options presented, especially as networked databases learn more about us individually, and tailor their presentations to that.

We may end up following, without any leader.

Jose

--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Jose

and

either.

In fact the large number who run for office, of one form or another, prove many more would like to lead than can, or currently do. And that's not including those who cannot afford to even attempt it, though they may wish to.

IMO *most* want to simply control their own life without leading OR following anyone in particular. (Of course there are exceptions)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

No, not if audibility is the criteria.

It coformance to an arbitrary standard is the criteria, then yes.

Square waves can be tremendously visually altered by phase shift that has no audible effects.

Reply to
Arny Krueger