Need to monitor voltage on 48v-65v DC system with a microcontroller

This will be the first time I've stepped out of the 0-15V range, so I'm a bit nervous.

I want to set up a microcontroller (AVR) to monitor a 48V solar power system. Voltage ranges from 48V to 64V(during equalize).

Are there any special precautions?

BTW, any suggestions on how to get the 64Vdc down to 5Vdc to power the AVR?

thanks

- jim

Reply to
jim

To roll your own, go to

and enter your parameters.

You could also look around the surplus market (I'm assuming this is a home/hobby project) and see what you can find. Some that come close are:

B.G. Micro has one: PWR1127 (have to download the catalog PDF) for only about $10. Get two!

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I think 64V it just too a bit high for the circuit to be classed as SELV (Safety Extra Low Voltage). I can't remember the exact limit (43V?) but this might mean you need to include something like an opto isolator and careful PCB and enclosure design to prevent a fault causing a shock hazard to the user.

Do you want the micro to measure the 48-64V rail? In which case it might be worth using an opto anyway to prevent anything like a nearby lightening strike getting into the micro via any long wires - although there are other ways to do that. Best convert the 48-64V signal into a digital signal (example a varying frequency square wave) then put it through the opto. Best not to try putting analog signals through an opto isolator. It can be done but using a digital signal is usually easier and more accurate.

Reply to
CWatters

Aha... nice idea.. I hadn't thought about the VtoFreq conversion.

But still, I need to get the 64V to 5V to power all of this.. Any ideas there?

- jim

jim

Actually, I just realized another BIG advantage of this.. Given that the battery bank is 4 12V batteries in series, using this VtoHz idea would make it easy to measure each battery independently, which makes it easier to spot a battery with a bad cell...

jim

See this reply > Any suggestions for voltage regulation from 60Vdc to 5Vdc, LOW current

maxim max5035 should be ok regulate max 76v input to fixed 5v output max 1A

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to