48V to 5V DC-DC Converter

Hi.

We've got an embedded device which carries data to/from a synchronous serial port over an IP connection. Normally we supply this with a

120V AC to 5V DC external supply (a "wall wart"). We're getting interest from folks who want to put these units into telco central offices and therefore need to run off of 48V DC.

Can anyone recommend a supplier for *external* DC-DC power supplies suitable for this? I've found lots of devices suitable for adding to a circuit board for doing this, but I don't want to change the embedded device itself. I'd like to just supply the right external supply for the customer at ship time.

Thanks, Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steve Schefter phone: +1 705 725 9999 x26 The Software Group Limited fax: +1 705 725 9666

642 Welham Road, email: snipped-for-privacy@wanware.com Barrie, Ontario CANADA L4N 9A1 Web:
Steve Schefter

How much power do you need ? 1/2 amp,1 amp ?? Does it need an RJ11 or RJ45 cable on it ? What does the 'other' end need? Power plug ? Length of cable from wall to device?

a little more info is needed.....

jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Be aware that telco is usually -48 volts.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Aren't there mechanical considerations, too? Doesn't the telco want to put this into a rack, presumably a rack that already carries a power bus inside it?

But, if you just want an enclosed DC-DC converter, here are a couple of links:

,
Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards