Need a 24V AC power supply, 850mA

Firstly, I know nothing about electronics so please forgive me if this post in not appropriate in this newsgroup.

I need to find a power supply for a set of indoor decorative lights, as mine has broken (the pin in the socket which the plug goes in has snapped). On the power supply, it states:

Input 240V ~ 50Hz, Output 24V AC 850mA Max: 20.4VA

I saw one on eBay, but the spec isn't exactly the same, but it is a 24V poutput so I wondered if it would do:

If not, does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for?

Many thanks.

metaphorng

Reply to
metaphorng

That page is not responding, but...it's AC, so polarity is not important. If the connector is the same and the current capability is at least as high as the unit you have, it should work.

Another option, if you are up to it, is to get another connector and replace the one with the broken pin, or, with the correct strain relief, hard-wire the cable to the supply. Only do this if you are somewhat knowledgeable about electronics, or maybe get a friend to do it, or some hobbyist teenager who knows electronics.

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

RS Componnemts

..have one (search for Part number 494-8776) but you need to find someone with an account. This particular item is sold as a power supply for CCTV cameras so perhaps your local Alarm system retailer will have one?

The nearest I could see at Farnell was only rated for 750mA (not 850mA) which isn't enough.

CWatters

Many thanks for the replies.

I've uploaded a picture of my (now broken) adapter here:

If I purchase the power supply mentioned at RS Components, could I just cut the plug from my lights' cable and attach that cable to the power supply?

Reply to
metaphorng

The short answer is yes. I haven't looked at the full data sheet but the photo shows that the power supply has an output cable probably with plug on the end of some sort like most mains adaptors have. You would either need to cut that plug off and join up the wires or find a matching socket to fit on the lights. If you cut it off you could use a regular terminal block to join the wires or use a soldring iron and some heat shrink sleeving. Since it's AC it won't matter which wire connects to which. I wouldn't try and open the power supply to try and connect inside. It's probably sealed anyway.

Reply to
CWatters