motor question

Does anyone know how to reverse the rotation of an AC motor?

Reply to
Jon

Yup. Mind you there are many variations of such that cannot be easily changed. You would be best informed if you were to specify the motor. Many can be changed by transposing the leads of either the start or run windings.

--
Regards .............. Rheilly P
Reply to

several people do.

which sort of AC motor?

Jasen Betts

Simple swap two phase wires, e.g. L1 and L2

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Motor make/model?

Often times, swapping the start winding polarity will do the trick. Some A/C motors can't be reversed.

Reply to
PeterD

The specs to the motor I need to reverse are,

A. O. Smith Electric Motor Mod. F48SH6MA4 RPM 1050 Volts 230 Amps 2.8 Ph 1 Hz 60 Cap 7.5 mfd 370VAC Rot CCWLE Ser 8F94

2-speed

I need the motor to rotate clockwise facing the shaft. How do I rewire the motor for this?

Reply to
Jon

Take a meter, and with the wires disconnected, but well labeled...

From the wire that goes to the starting capacitor, find it's mate (the other end of the winding).

Swap the locatiosn of these two wires, so that other end of the winding goes to teh starting capacitor) and the end that was on the capacitor goes to the original location.

Reply to
PeterD

shaded pole motors can be reversed by flipping the stator over (180 degree rotation about an axis perpendicular to the shaft)

Jasen Betts

two identical wires go to the capacitor. which one do you mean?

Reply to
Jon

the rotation of the motor is designated as CCWLE (Counter-Clock Wise LE) What does "LE" stand for? If it means Lead End where the wires are, it already rotates in the right direction (Clock Wise Shaft End)

does anybody know?

Reply to
Jon

A stator is fixed, the outside (usually) part. The aramature is the part with shaft on it, which does move (rotate).

Reply to
PeterD

ccwle means counter-clockwise lead end, which means the motor already turns in the direction I want.

thank all of you for your help. someday if I need to reverse motor direction now I have some ideas.

Reply to
Jon

JFGI. TFD agrees with your guess.

Jasen Betts

snip....

The capacitor is in series with one of the motor windings. The other end of that winding goes to the power line (mains). The capacitor terminal not connected to the motor winding goes to the other power line terminal. Find the two wires, one to the capacitor, the other to the power line from this motor winding and reverse them. Do not reverse any other wires. An ohmmeter can help you isolate which wires connect to the winding in question.

Reply to
Bob Eld