Idea

Hi,

I have an idea about an electronic device which I do not know whether it has marketing value.

I want to make a POS device which can connect to keypad, barcode scanner, receipt printer and ethernet. Over it there is a big graphical LCD. The ethernet connector is used to connect to the server computer to get product name, price and store order invoices. It can be regarded as a small computer which has the following advantage:

  1. It is cheap, as a real computer with monitor and OS software and retail software it costs much more.

  1. It boots fast comparing to a real computer.

  2. It consumes less power comparing to a real computer.

  1. It has samll size which lets u more convenient and have more space to display your products.

Is it a good product with market value? Any modification or suggestion?

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

In my opinion, no.
Reply to
John Fields

An old out of date PC might do the same job. I'm sure you can find a manufacturer stuck with out of date stocks or lease machines. Much cheaper to sell them to you than recycle them.

If you have a fast booting OS yes.

Do stores care that much?

Since you don't need much processing power why not use a central computer and multiple terminals and printers? Wireless LAN them? I think you will find that's what the big stores do now.

Reply to
CWatters

Sounds like a modern supermarket cash register to me.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I think I need to clarify something much more.

I think my price is as low as US$100. Comparing to a real computer with LCVD and OS and retail software, it is much lower.

I used MCU to do the job. So the boot action is instant.

I think one can save a lot of power fee as a real computer consumes US$10 per month.

Besides, the size of the unit can be as small as 8cmx8cmx4cm size which is compact relative to a real computer.

Finally on thing I missed, it is quiet as comparing to real computer.

Reply to
terry

--
So go for it, and good luck!
Reply to

You need to incorporate support for RFID tags. They may change the whole definition of "point of sale". For example they may eliminate check outs and the large amount of space they take up entirely.

Reply to
CWatters

It seems to be another thing and I think it is not cheap.

Reply to
terry

and

Not yet perhaps but all the big stores are doing lots of work in this area. It would eventually allow them to eliminate check out staff.

Tesco in the UK..

Wallmart in the USA..

So far it's too expensive to use on every individual product at the moment but that is their objective. They are starting deployment in their warehouses and delivery chain. As volumes increase it will eventually become cheap enough to consider full deployment.

Eventually they will fit tags to every product and have scanners on special unstaffed checkout isles. The idea is that customers would simply walk through these without needing to unload and reloads their trolleys (or even personal shopping baskets), then swipe their credit card. I expect some customer resistance initially but not having to queue will eventually win people over. We already have customer operated check outs for those paying by credit card in the UK.

How about making a portable hand held tag reader that displays what you've got in your trolley as a kinda independant checking device that the customer can buy. Hint design it as a PCMCIA card and write S/W for Palm, pocket PC etc

Reply to
CWatters

More:

"Alien Technology has the most ambitious program yet. Their venture funding totals $128 million to push the cost to less than 5 cents a tag. A new factory, being built in North Dakota, will churn out 20 billion tags annually "

Reply to
CWatters