How to add a I/O to a laptop

Hi,

I need to add a simple input to a laptop computer for a switch. However this laptop has no parallel nor serial port. It doesnt even have an external keyboard input.

I cant spend time designing some kind of sophisticated USB interface. Any ideas on how to add an input simply and at no cost ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Louis

Look for a cheap usb that can be re-purposed. If a USB keyboard will work alongside the laptop's one, this may be an option

-you will probably find a small PCB inside a USB keyboard that can be extracted.

A USB-Serial converter would also do, use the CTS/DSR lines as inputs. Not no cost but very low cost.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

"Mike Harrison" a écrit

-you will probably

Very good idea. Why didnt I think about this before ! Even simpler: using one of the switches of a USB mouse (the mouse and the keyboard wont be used for this application)

Thank you again

Reply to
Louis

option -you will probably

Ethernet or USB to I/O port...

CWatters

Reply to
Frank S.

Here are a few things that would work for you.

usb 1.1 to serial cable:

usb 2.0 to serial cable:

With both of the above you can get a serial-to-parallel [db9 to db25] adapter if you need parallel input.

usb 2.9 mini docking station:

This might be of more univerisal useage for what you noted in your post, yet it is a little more since it does more.

Reply to
qwerty

This will add quite a bit of I/O at reasonable cost

Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/
Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl