Hnadheld device to measure speed

Hi,

Is it possible to measure the speed of a vehicle such as a bus, a car, a boat, a train with a handheld device? Note that the vehicle does not send data to the device.

I only think a way to make this handheld device which is using GPS.

Does it exist other ways?

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

Doppler radar is pretty popular with police departments.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Some years ago I found a hand-held doppler speed gun for measuring the speed of dragsters, so they exist... do some surfing.

...Jim Thompson

Is the device in the bus or roadside?

Reply to
CWatters

Info on UK radar systems. See "hand held radar"

CWatters

Surf over to Ramsey Electronics. They used to offer a kit ... maybe still do.

--
Michael
Reply to

Sorry I missed the information that the device is inside the bus.

Reply to
terry

KIT-018 Personal Speed Radar Here's a kit that's not only tons of fun for everyone, but useful too! This low cost microwave radar uses the same principle found in police units costing thousands more. You'll turn heads when you clock cars, planes, runners, boats, horses, bikes, races or virtually anything that moves. Speed readout is on two LED displays which can be set accurately (better than 1%) to show MPH, kilometers-per-hour, or even feet-per-second. An earphone output allows you to actually hear the Doppler frequency shift of moving objects - the theory upon which all radars operate. Uses two 13 oz. coffee or juice cans for antenna (not included). Antenna unit can be remoted up to 300 feet away. The kit is easy and informative to build. Our detailed manual not only carefully guides you to a finished unit, but tells you the hows and whys of how radar works. Even though the the kit employs microwave circuitry, no exotic tuning is needed. All critical sections are PC board stripline and calibration is as easy as pointing the kit at a fluorescent lamp! Your Speedy kit includes a deluxe black ABS plastic case with SPEEDY graphics for a neat professional look. Operates on 12VDC. Electronics case 3-5/8" X 5-3/4" X 1-1/8". KIT-018 Personal Speed Radar............................. $ 59.95

terry wrote:

Reply to
Tom Woodrow