Help Washine machine motor.

Hello, I was looking to hook up a washine machine motor i picked up to ac leads to run off the wall socket however, its a split phase motor. It has 6 wires coming from the top of it im sure these are for the different speeds, and the ground point is on the chasis of the motor, it is also labelled so i know this one is. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to figure out how to hook up wires of the motor so i can get at least one speed going. What wires connect where. The motor is made by Betts but there is no site i can find with any info.

Can anyone help please, or direct me somewhere i can get help or answers.

Thanks in advance, Daniel

Reply to
je_turner

There are LOTS possibilities for the leads;

1- one, or possibly two , run windings. These are two speed field windings.

2- a start winding,usually in series with a centrifugal switch

3- some leads coming out of a dryer or washer motor may actually be connected to a simple spst switch inside, for the purpose of controlling some external feature on the machine.This switch is operated by the same mechanism that operates the start switch (but electrically separate.)

4-a ground wire

5-the motor may have options for 110-220 operation, in which case the motor would have windings in series or parallel, and the appropriate connections made external to the motor.

6-and to make things really complicated,sometimes the start winding goes thru an internal start switch, and sometimes the lead for the start winding and the switch are brought out separately, allowing for external direction reverse.

7- and last, some windings may share a common lead. This is often the case with the run and start windings.

In short, there are too many permutations and options, with no standard for color identification. Altho an ohmmeter and experienced can usually get them going, only the simplest arrangement is easy.

Reply to
felix

In addition to what 'felix' wrote, it may well be a stepper motor which does

*not* connect to mains. Doing so as a test would be a potentially risky adventure.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor