Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?

I hooked up a line out on my new desktop PC to the auxiliary in on my
650 watt stereo.  Everything was great for a day or so, then my
computer froze.  Because I didn't know these new computers turn off
when frozen by holding the power button in for a few seconds, I
eventually unplugged the computer.  Then I plugged it back in.
Sometime between unplugging it and plugging it back in, half of my
studio shorted out.  The other half remained on.  Afterwards, the CPU
was messed up, and needed replacing.

The apartment handyman said that one of the two "lines" in my studio
was overloaded, and that I could rectify the problem by balancing the
usage of the two lines, and possibly by switching the main from 15
amps to 20 amps.  A clerk at a tool shop where I bought a receptacle
tester agreed that it was line overload.  But, I did shift things
around, and still, I had one episode of one half of my studio browning
out for a sec, and the other blacking out for a second, after which I
gave up, and am now only using my stereo when my computer is not on,
and vice versa.

Since adapting this policy about a month ago, no power problems have
ocurred.  In the two or three years before I got the desktop, I had
the stereo hooked up to my laptop, and never had such power problems.
About 7 years ago I had a similar stereo hooked up to a desktop, in a
share-rental house so dated it only had one non-grounded outlet in my
room (I used a grounding attachment), and I did have similar power
problems that were resolved, IIRC, by not using the stereo with the
computer.  My current studio has 11 grounded outlets.

I figure there's got to be something I'm missing, a way to use both at
the same time without risking harm.  I counted the amps up (including
refrigerator, et c.) as best I could, and it doesn't seem like I was
ever using 15 or more amps.  I was only running two laptops, a
printer, the stereo, the desktop system, a few generic, power-sipping
gadgets, and a few studio standard lights (no dishwasher, oven, or
A/C).  Plus, I see people all over the place with home entertainment
systems much bigger than my stuff, probably running with A/C and
what-not, and I never hear of the problem I'm having.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Keith

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?
[snip]

A *few* studio standard lights?!?!?!  How many kilowatts do they take?

Did I ever occur to you that just maybe your setup has something
different than those other "people all over the place"????

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?

Thanks for responding.

I don't know, maybe you're thinking of "movie studio" or "art studio",
or something.  By studio, I mean "an apartment without a separate
bedroom".  By standard, I mean the light fixtures that came with the
studio.  Plus, they've got the energy-saver flourescent lights in
them, standard household 60-75 watt stuff.

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?

Yeah, thhis is what I had in mind:
http://www.oswego.edu/Acad_Dept/a_and_s/theatre/lightinv.html

In any case, you may have something fundamentally wrong with your
electrical system.  This isn't something to be triflked with, since it
could cause a fire.  Have it checked out by someone competent.

I've seen some very bad elecrical systems, such as those old 'knob and
tube' wiring installations from WW1 and before.  Really bad, really.  Scary!

Actually I meant WW2, above, but then come to think of it, one really
bad one was from before WW1(!)

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?

Okay, I tried to post a follow-up through Google, but somehow it
didn't post:

I don't know, maybe you're thinking of "movie" or "art" studio, or
something.  By studio, I meant "an apartment without a separate
bedroom."  By standard, I meant light fixtures that came with the
studio, with 60-75 generic household energy-saver fluorescent bulbs.

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?
...and, thanks for replying...

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?

auxiliary in on my
then my
turn off
seconds, I
in.
half of my
Afterwards, the CPU
my studio
balancing the
from 15
receptacle
things
studio browning
after which I
is not on,
problems have
desktop, I had
power problems.
desktop, in a
outlet in my
similar power
with the
use both at
(including
like I was
laptops, a
power-sipping
oven, or
entertainment
A/C and

You urgently need a real electrician to decide if all your
equipment is correctly grounded and all connected to the
same phase of the supply.

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?

Thanks.  I don't know what you mean by urgently, but, okay, I guess...
 Why did I buy a receptacle tester, then?

Re: Desktop and Stereo Overloading a Line?

Again, I tried to post a follow-up through Google, and it hasn't shown
up yet.  Sorry.

Thanks.  I don't know what you mean by urgent, but, okay, I guess.
Why did I buy a receptacle tester, then?

Site Timeline