Converting something that runs on batteries...

Yes, my post was tongue-in-cheek. With twice the voltage, you'd probably get a bit more amplitude on the swing. It depends on the kind of drive circuitry, though. If it's pulsed power, it might not make all that much difference.

Reply to
Karl Uppiano

It could also be that to get a device "certified" costs money. If it's battery powered, all sorts of requirements just "fall off" the test schedule. However, the tiniest involvement in mains electricity brings in all the extra rules.

More tests == more costs and more hassle.

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

AC

etc.

reason.

Sure it does, it means that if the adapter is overloaded or short circuited it'll fail gracefully and not catch fire, that's the important part. The output is low enough voltage to not be dangerous.

Reply to
James Sweet

That was a lithium-ion battery, they've been known to do that on occasion. NiCd and NiMH are quite safe, though both can pump out an enormous amount of current for a short time, so in the event of a short circuit they can be quite dangerous.

Reply to
James Sweet

Never mind that the existence of a cord doesn't automatically mean the kid has any prayer of getting wrapped in it or zapped by it.

I can think of several ways to handle the cord that, unless the unit was disassembled, would leave it not exposed to the kid's (or the kid's "by-products" :) ) access at all. No access = no threat, of either hanging or zapping.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.

I've actually had the same idea with the baby swing we use with my

4-month-old daughter, but i've also been looking around at maybe a larger 6-volt battery that could run for weeks, and possibly recharge off of a seperate charger while the baby sleeps in her crib.

Of course, we use her swing about an hour a day, but i've heard of some babies who just can't sleep in bassinets or cribs, but will sleep in a swing. Glad that isn't us.

Also, the spring-loaded, wind-up type of swing generally last only about 5 minutes or so, and the ratcheting winder was painfully loud...

Reply to
Greg

A good alkaline "D" cell has about a 14 amp-hr capacity. If the rocker can run 14 hours before it goes dead figure a current draw of 1 Amp. I would go with the 1.8 amp, 6V ac/dc adapter.

Reply to
GaryH

I can't just understand the doubt you have regarding the ampere value the digital multimeter shows. U can safely measure the current drawn by the battery and use an adaptor suited for that purpose.

Reply to
sanjoealex