A quite simple question to you guys, but it beats me:
I have a lamp in which I left the 2 AA batteries for quite some time. As you know, the green stuff accumulated on the metal parts of the lamp. By metal parts I mean the metals which come in contact to the batteries in order to close the circuit. I scraped the green stuff off and replaced the batteries but the lamp does not go on. I tested the light bulb on another lamp and it works. I tested the metal parts for continuity using a continuity tester and there is connectivity from any metal part to any other when the lamp is in and the switch is on. The batteries are new. However when the batteries are in and the switch is on, the lamp does not go on. What is wrong? Did leaving the old batteries for so long affected the connectivity of the metals somehow ? Maybe increased their resistance?
Of course I could simply buy a new lamp, but my question here is mostly educational.