Constant Voltage Transformer Question

I read in sci.electronics.design that David Lesher wrote (in ) about 'Constant Voltage Transformer Question', on Fri, 28 Jan 2005:

UL approval for what? There is no product safety issue. There IS an EMC issue, but the US has not adopted IEC/EN 61000-3-3, which would probably have caught the problem.

John Woodgate

It turns out, at least in the last one I took apart, it _looks_ like a ferro, but that oil-filled cap is merely the filter cap in a half-wave doubler. The tranny looks like a ferro, because the primary and secondary are separate windings, with a space between them. But there are no shunts, and no resonant winding. )-;

It's a linear transformer, and the cap is only a HV oil-filled cap.

How mundane. ;-)

The maggie _is_, however, the other diode in the half-wave doubler. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There are shunts (or some sort of welding trick), so that the transformer current limits. It's like a Neon sign transformer.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier