Best method for medium range, low data rate communication?

I want to connect 3 seperate buildings in a rural setting to share some sensor readings, and possibly provide some control between them. Maximum distance would be 1.25 miles. There is telephone at one building, but I don't want to install it at the other 2. I would prefer my own private digital link.

What are my options, buried cable or fibre optic, wireless? Cost is a factor also as I don't want to remortgage the farm to do it.

Reply to
zdriver

Sounds like a job for radio modems. From gbp200 - 450 each.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

expect to spend a few hundered for cable, conduit is extra I'm fairly sure that 1.25mi is way too long for ethernet but modems should work OK if that gives enough throughput.

There may be a tractor implement that can be used to bury the cable ( I've seen a special plow used to bury light duty irigation pipe. )

have you considered wireless? (most schemes need line of sight so that may not be an option)

--

Bye.
   Jasen

I actually have to lay a pipe between 2 of the buildings to move water between them so laying a cable would not be much of an added expense, but the third building there are no plans for underground services .

Wireless radio modem as suggested by previous post looks appealing, I am going to check further into them. Who makes the best radio modem for the $?

Reply to
zdriver

In UK, try Pacscom, Wood& Douglas, Treo

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
then throw away a week before you need it.
Reply to
Joe Soap

How about a couple of cheap slow computers, some wifi cards, and find some old satellite tv dishes.

Reply to
bhauth