Battery charger reccomendations?

Anyone?

I'm finding this kinda daunting when trying to search and dealing with the specifications.

I'm looking for a charger than can handle both NiCad and NiMh from AAA to D cells. Quantity of batteries it can handle isn't important. (I've found some that can handle up to 20 batteries at a time!) Handling 4 would be fine, if I can figure out what makes up a decent charger. Would this do?:

It's a "MINWA PROFESSIONAL SERIES MW-5798 PRO "SMART" CHARGER w/ Battery Conditioner."

The way I understand it, it does pulse charging for NiCads - which is supposed to be a good thing. But are 60-160 minute charge cycles hard on the batteries, even if it is microprocessor controlled? I don't need them that fast. This one switches to trickle charge. I thought the best thing to do was terminate the current at the end of a charge cycle.

Basically, I'm looking for a dual NiCad/NiMh charger that can handle NiCad charging as intelligently as possible. And doesn't cost $100.00 or more to do it.

Any suggestions on the general specs I should be looking for, or on specific chargers that are good?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

a sales gimick

But are 60-160 minute charge cycles hard on

if it makes the cell hot it is bad

I don't need

the idea is to get the cell to maximum capacity after the fast charge got it most of the way.

you need to look up the specs of the actual cells and batteries that you have and find a charger(s) that meet their needs.

Reply to
TimPerry

That unit looks like a decent charger for your needs. The trickle charge is good if you are likely to leave the cells in the charger for long periods of time. Nicad, NiMh and Lion cells self-discharge at a fairly high rate as compared to non-rechargeable such as alkalines. The trickle charge will keep them close to full charge at all times, and shouldn't damage the cells at all. I haven't read that the "pulse" charging technique is good or bad... there might be some manufacturers that support it.. others might not. The major limitation that I see with this unit is the number of cells it can handle at once.

A few other chargers that you might look at:

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM