antenna help

New to group.

Hope this isn't too lame for you folks-

I have a cheap 'boombox' radio in my garage, and would like to improve the reception. It has the standard extendable antenna on it, but doesn't receive stations very well.

Is there a way to hook up an external antenna to it? I have VERY basic elec.skills, but think I could manage any fix suggested

Thanks for your input Steve

Reply to
Steve

receive

If it doesn't have an antenna socket or terminal(s), then just use a crocodile-clip lead to attach an external piece of wire. It's relatively uncritical.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

receive

Have you tied connecting some wire or clip leads to the existing antenna? That might help for AM reception but not as much for FM but still worth a try.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I'm trying to boost FM reception. Radio is in wood framed garage-no steel involved, but is in a low area of town, so I suppose fighting all the trees and buildings isn't helping my situation at all. I'm going try the suggestion of using the earphone jack as a ground, maybe that will help some.

receive

Have you tied connecting some wire or clip leads to the existing antenna? That might help for AM reception but not as much for FM but still worth a try.

Reply to
Steve

Also try clipping more wire to the antenna in a haphazard way -- try all sorts of different positions and lengths -- you may suddenly find something that works.

trees

the

Reply to
Michael A. Covington

hooked up an old CB truck antenna to it, 1 lead to antenna, 1 lead to ear phone ground. Seems to be working well, but it is an unusually clear day here today.