Alcor Micro AU9462 keyboard chip

Hello. I am a student at the University of Montana. I recently got interested in the field of electronics and have been working on some small projects as a hobby. One of my projects is to create my own keyboard. I recently took apart a dell and a logitec keyboard to see how difficult this project would be.

From what I saw, this project looked like it was about the right

difficulty for me. I saw that both the logitec and dell keyboards used an Alcor Micro AU9462 chip. After going to Alcor Micro's site and buying the chip, I recieved their schematics and electronic diagrams and now I'm not so sure this was a good idea. When I first bought the chip, I thought the only things I would need was the 12mhz crystal, the usb cord, and the AU9462 chip. I am wondering if this is correct or if I do need all the resistors/compasitors/ect in Alcor's electronic diagrams. Has anyone worked with this chip? What is the BARE minimum to just make the keyboard keys work? I can send the diagrams alcor provides to anyone who wishes to help. AU9462 site:

AU9462 databook:

Sorry if this isn't enough information. This is the first time I have ever posted to google groups.

Reply to
dragons shadows

Depends, why not hook the chip up like the one in the Logitec or Dell. Basically, just build a copy of the electronics in the other keyboards you took apart. I have seen this done with this chip. Someone "copied a keyboard. It was just a circuit board with the electronics and keys on it. I'll look for a link.

Reply to
nvic

The dell and logitec keyboards are really complex and use REALLY small parts. Their resistors are smaller then a millimeter. I don't have a good enough sodering iron or steady enough hand to use their parts. Also, I don't feel I'd learn anything by just copying it. I was just wondering if this chip only requires two 39ohm resistors where the 12mhz crystal is. I was also wondering if the only pins that need to be connected are the SCAN_C# lines, SCAN_R# lines, XTAL in, XTAL out, and VCCA pins.

Reply to
dragons shadows

We use Alcor Micro parts in a new design in our office, and they are extremely nice, but extremely fussy, and there seems to be a general lack of documentation, considering the audience, I don't know if that's a problem. They are not targeting the enthusiast at all, and they don't need to with Logitech and Dell. Their boards are basically designed for them.

The 10mhz crystals are a nuisance to work with (these days of age, just put a oscillator on the board).

On the other hand, their design engineers and staff support are EXTREMELY helpful, and I would say that it's super cool that you can use their internal ROM (EEPROM tied to a logical 0) and then set their internal ROM commands for different manufacturers. I noticed the ID that the chips give show DELL, Logitech, and severla others. Very cool; very helpful.

Is there anyone here, by the way, who would be comfortable with consulting directly with me on these particular chips for a pretty good hourly rate? (not too many hours involved but WE WILL MAKE IT WORTH YOUR TIME...)...

please email me at w o o l f s o n @ t e l s w i t c h . c o m , with subject ALCOR. I'll be sure to get back to you... we would liek to talk to anyone who has used these chips successfully and is willing to consult with us...

Thanks.

drag> The dell and logitec keyboards are really complex and use REALLY small

Reply to
woolfson