A Revised Inductance Calculator

Could someone repost the original scans? For some reason they never showed on my server.

...Jim Thompson

|  Jim-T@analog_innovations.com  Fax:(480)460-2142  |  Brass Rat  |

            For proper E-mail replies SWAP "-" and "_"

          Why is it that Democrats can't debate politely?
                And are only rude and interruptive.
                     Lack of mental capacity?

Ok, thanks. Seems they got wise to the free e-mail account I used. Just set back up again with another less known. I'll try the others too.

- YD.

Reply to
YD

One. In Agent, it appears as a 3285 line post: Subject: Flat Spiral Coils-2xgifs Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 02:47:13 +0100

File names are flatspiral1-300-bw.gif 69.9 kBytes flatspiral2-300-bw.gif 73.6 kBytes

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Oh, I can convert them to much better PDF files. But what I'd like to do is to get "paper capture" to work so that the OCR function will convert the pixelized text back into normal PDF style text and the images inside into little PDF images. (If you can't search and find textual words, the job isn't done.)

Thought I'd give that tool a try on the GIFs, but the Acrobat program has flummoxed me about how -- seems to always insist the resolution is wrong (even in your PDF files or those I converted to PDF earlier, for that matter.)

Also, I wrote a short TIFF dump of the IFDs and the new TIF files that Terry put up show:

IFD: Count of entries = 18 Subfile type (new) = Width = 1308 Length = 2120 Bits per sample = 740 Compression = 5 (unrecognized type) Photometric interpretation = 2 (unrecognized type) Fill order = high to low Strip offsets, Count = 265 Tag = 0112, Type = 0003, Count = 1, Value = 00000001 Samples per pixel = 1 Rows per strip = 1 Strip byte counts, Count = 265 X resolution = 72/1 Y resolution = 72/1 Planar configuration = Chunky Resolution unit = in Software = "Oi/GFS, writer v00.06.01P" Tag = 80a6, Type = 0004, Count = 1, Value = 00000000

Taking particular note of the X and Y resolution entries above, and the Resolution Unit, you can see that it is 72 pixels per inch. And my acrobat paper capture program will barf at that resolution statement.

I may try tinkering with it, though. Would be nice to see that OCR working, if possible.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

[snip]
[snip]

I haven't found the "Capture" function in Acrobat to be terribly useable. I use OmniPagePro when I need to OCR.

*Any* OCR isn't going to do well with equations.

Why do you want "searchable" for a two page document?

...Jim Thompson

|  Jim-T@analog_innovations.com  Fax:(480)460-2142  |  Brass Rat  |

            For proper E-mail replies SWAP "-" and "_"

          Why is it that Democrats can't debate politely?
                And are only rude and interruptive.
                     Lack of mental capacity?

Okay. I just hacked Terry's TIFF files, pasting in a 300 DPI specification, where the 72 lay. Then that darned Paper Capture thing decided to actually *do* something.

Newsgroup: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Message-ID:

First time I tried using that tool. But the text does appear searchable. I'm curious about how useful this tool is, so I'm interested in any impressions.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Okay. That's good information. I haven't used OCR software in many years and I'm curious about how well it does. You have experience with it, I guess, which isn't so good.

Indeed. Still, it's interesting to see what does happen.

No need at all. Mostly, I just wanted to experiment with OCR again, "because it's there."

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Newscene is no longer free (you have to buy their software).

So use news://biggulp.readfreenews.net/alt.binaries.schematics.electronic or news://dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu/alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Reply to
Brian Kraft

PDF remains something of a black art to me - probably because I've never invested the effort to learn it properly. Hopefully one of the PDF experts will get on the case...

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

There are several freebies about, Jaws PDF or PDF Factory for example. They just pop up as another printer, output to them in the normal way, and you've got a rather non- optimal PDF. But it's better than none at all.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Thanks. Yes, I've occasionally used PDF995 in that printer driver mode. But never really found any great incentive to write PDF files.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

I use it to create printable pages for websites. I display a HTML page with the information, and have a link to the PDF file if someone wants to print a chart or schematic. That way, they have it in the proper layout, without all the extra crap on the printout like the URL, date and extra garbage that prints by default.

--

Its August 5, 2003, so I'm 51 today!
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks, Michael - I'll give that a try sometime.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 05:31:27 GMT, Active8 Gave us:

ONLY for a single layer coil.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Not forgetting the daddy of them all, AFPL / GNU Ghostscript, which runs on just about every platform there is.

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

since when? you said a small diameter coil had more inductance than a large one. not so.

now you're telling me that an extra winding layer won't increase L? wrong, it's directly proportional to N if the layers are wound in the same sense, i.e., series aiding. it'll be more, due to L1+L2+2M, but it's still proportional.

physics hasn't changed, nor has math.

proportional - varies in accordance with an independant variable. directly proportional - both increase or decrease. inversely proportional - one decreases while the other increases.

mike

Reply to
Active8