xilinx xpower - frequency estimation of internal nodes

Hi

what algorithm does xpower use to calculate the freqency of internal nodes in a netlist ? is it some kind of transition density propagation but that method requires activity factor for primary inputs and also probabilities of primary inputs.

Also is the interconnect power dissipation taken into account ?

Thanks for any help swamy

Reply to
swamydp

The most basic method is through user i/p. Others include importing simulation information and also the use of a probability algorithm in how primary i/ps are propagated.

The interconnect power dissipation is definitely taken into account.

Brendan

Reply to
Brendan Cullen

Hello Brendan

Thanks for the reply. When we enter a frequency for the primary input in Xpower, for example 1 Mhz, does it consider the input to be a square wave ? My primary inputs do not toggle every cycle, so the term "frequency" is confusing to me. any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Thanks swamy

Brendan Cullen wrote:

internal

propagation

also

how

Reply to
swamydp

Yes.

I'd suggest assessing your primary i/ps' average transition rate over a period of time and inferring frequencies from that.

Brendan

Reply to
Brendan Cullen