Xilinx vs Altera high-end product solutions?

Hello,

I am interested in opinions concerning advantages and disadvantages of the hardware (FPGAs) and developing software (Quartus vs ISE) for high-end (very demanding designs). I was under the impression that xilinx was ahead but I've done some reading lately and StratixII seems to have made a step ahead in comparison to Virtex4. The devices I am interested in are Stratix and StratixII from one side and VirtexII pro, Virtex4 on the other.

There is not one specific parameter that I need to investigate. Procesing power, memory and I/O data rates are all significant.

Of cource the role of the EDA tools is important so if someone could give me his opinion one advantages and week points of each one I would be grateful. email: snipped-for-privacy@ee.duth.gr Thanks

Reply to
Giorgos P.

Try Symplfy and HDL designer and Modelsim for tools and you might be at a better starting point for high end development. ISE and Quartus are bottom end tools. HDL designer will give you the same set of tools for both X & A. Modelsim is a must for any serious design (or a similar tool) The free versions keel over far to fast to be useful. Symplify is a real mans compiler. need I say more

Simon

(very

reading

me

grateful.

Reply to
Simon Peacock

I agree that a good hdl editor, simulator and synthesis are the key. If you are comfortable without graphical editing, emacs vhdl-mode can cover HDL designer's turf for free.

For design entry and simulation, I agree. For place+route they are essential. Their hdl synthesis is quite good for the money, certainly worth a try after simulation is complete.

This is true whenever and however you generate code using generic hdl and no vendor black boxes.

Modelsim or similar. I agree. A fully licensed hdl simulator is where a designer spends time most productively.

Synplify is a fine synthesis tool. There are others. Once you have a good set of design rules and simulation process, synthesis becomes just an important detail.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler