Virtex-E power trace

Hello,

We are currently trying to measure the power consumption of a Xilinx Virtex-E FPGA on a custom-made circuit-board.

The FPGA is configured with a design which performs AES operations. Power consumption is measured with a sensor resistor between the FPGA's ground and the board's ground.

The trace shows activity of the AES design very clearly but when there is no operation performed, then there is almost no transient current flow.

In our opinion, at least some activity due to the loading of the clock tree should be visible.

I'm using Xilinx ISE 5 WebPack for synthesis. Is it possible, that the synthesizer generates some kind of power management for the design (e.g. clock gating) so that there is nearly no power consumption, when the design is not active? And if it does, is it possible to turn that optimization behaviour off?

Best regards Stefan Tillich

Reply to
Stefan Tillich

how many dB is you circuit capable of?

Maybe Peter (Alfke) will know how much current a minimal clock tree will take, but I would guess not much - these things are designed for LOW current operation.

Andrew

Stefan Tillich wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule