Using USB programming cables from Xilinx and Lattice on one Windows machine

Hey *,

I'm trying to use USB programming cables from both Xilinx and Lattice on the same Windows machine. No luck so far, I can only get one of them working at a time, when I completely uninstall the other's software.

Seems like the problem is that both use Jungo's "windrv", and the tools are getting confused or something...

Has anyone of you managed to get this working? The only solution I can think of right now is runnig the tools inside a virtual machine, but before I try that I'd like to know if maybe there's a simpler solution...

cu, Sean

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...

Jungos tools have a history of totally violating any sane programming rules. Maybe you could add another usb card to let them install on different hardware..? Or install the lattice programmer, and then use a win32 port of the linux driver for the xilinx stuff?

I don't know the sanity of the lattice drivers, but likely the Jungo drivers are to blame.

Reply to
sky465nm

Yep.

I tried different USB cards, without any luck. I put two different ones in that machine before, because I wanted to try to use two Xilinx USB cables in the same machine. That's another thing I never could get to work... Back then I just used one parallel cable and one USB cable, but even that doesn't work with the mixture of Xilinx and Lattice.

I tried almost every combination (Xilinx USB, Lattice Parallel; Lattice USB, Xilinx Parallel; Lattice and Xilinx USB), none works.

One thing I could try is the drivers they shopped with ISE10.1. I think I read somewhere that at least in the linux release they now ship a driver based on libusb. Maybe they changed the Windows-driver as well...

Yep.

cu, Sean

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...
Reply to
Sean Durkin

Well one option is to go FreeBSD/Linux. Or setup a jtag server on another machine. This seems like a problem that won't go away unless you create something of your own. Or fake the system for the drivers (ie virtualisation).

Ping Xilinx ..?, how are you going to make this work?, I don't find this an acceptable situation. I heard from another user that Intel-cpu-jtag + xilinx-jtag also fails on the same issues.

I don't know the status of libusb on win32. But my tip would be to check:

Btw,... google :p

Reply to
sky465nm

If I were the only one using that machine, that would be OK. But there's other people doing stuff on there, and they need Windoze for some reason. All I need to do on that particular machine is load an FPGA from time to time. Just load it... no synthesis, no nothing, just loading...

Another machine is always a solution, but not really an acceptable one. I don't want the lab clogged up with dozens of machines so everyone can load his/her board. That's how this is going to end sooner or later. I was thinking about trying out some Actel devices as well, and Altera is out there, too... :)

Virtualisation is probably what I'll end up doing. It's just so... stupid. Can't they all get along? :)

Well, why should THEY care? Thou shalt not have any JTAG beside me. ;)

Hmm, didn't know that one... But doesn't look like anything that will be up and running faster than a virtual machine...

I've been googling and finding only more problems and no real solutions.

So, obviously, the answer to my original question is an emphatic "No"...

cu, Sean

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...
Reply to
Sean Durkin

But things ain't working so either you (a) have a machine #2 that runs another ms-win that can do jtag (b) have a machine #2 that runs BSD/Linux and can load any jtag.

You can dedicate a 30 USD laptop to control jtag devices. Small and neat.. On ms-win you need to re-install and have a new machine. On unix you need another process.. add the bonus of smooth remote control.

The larger organisation, the higher, and especielly the more money. The more sandbox turf stuff you will see :)

Large corporation callsign? :-)

Give it a try?, you need ofcourse the source for a loader. Anyway maybe you can make something with a plain C compiler?

Reply to
sky465nm

Languishing in my yet-to-be-started home projects pile is the following scheme for a small, low budget, networked FPGA downloader :

- reflash a Linksys NSLU2 [1] ( ~$85 USD ) to run Linux [2] - add a cheap USB cable - re-compile x3sprog|xilprg|???? for the ARM target - plunk one down next to the target HW, telnet in to download

Brian

[1] Linksys NSLU2
[2] NSLU2 Linux & NetBSD ports
Brian Davis