Unix workstation runs ISE 6.1 slower than a PC?

Hi, there:

I don't understand why a big chunk Sun workstation runs ISE 6 much slower than a P3-1GHz!!! Is this the right behavior or my workstation is lousy? I remembered my Sun was bought 2 years ago, over 10K US$...

Anybody use ISE on Unix?

Thanks for your reply... Kelvin

Reply to
kelvin8157

My experience from ~4-5 years ago was that the PII ran the precursor to ISE about twice as fast as the unix machines I had access to. Of course, if someone else was doing anything intensive on the unix machine, it went further downhill. (Yes, if I ran other apps on the PC, things slowed down, too... but I could choose whether to run them or not.) I've seen similar results more recently with Spectrum and ModelSim (i.e., running significantly faster on what PC I had available versus the unix box I had available.)

Jason

Reply to
jtw

my FPGA experience for two months has shown to me PC was much much more faster than Sun. While I was impressed by the speed of Sun when it was handling digital ASIC layout data...I can't test the speed of the FPGA Editor on Sun as I use Exceed...

Kelvin

ISE

down,

slower