Surface mount ic's

Good link Brian, I wonder if our Plasticine heroes could help popularise the toast rack in America?

However, one question. Do you mean 'jam applicator'? Jelly's something you put in trifle and will definitely soggy the toast. Here's a link with a picture of Jelly in it's pre-packed state.

Perhaps we should stick with marmalade, I think it's the same in both lands!

Syms.

p.s. On the first day of a new job having just moved to the US I asked the guy in the cube next to me if I could borrow a rubber. Apparently I wanted an eraser.

p.p.s. Bob, I found this

. The article is on Wikipedia, so it must be true. It even mentions 'angry clergyman', lending that needed air of authenticity.

Reply to
Symon

Only in England. Scots speak of "jelly pieces" (=jam butties to you).

BTW: trifle with jelly/Jell-O is an abomination acceptable only at young children's birthday parties, but that's another discussion altogether... I'm still in detox after my cousin made grandmother's trifle recipe at Christmas. Too sloppy and tiramisu-like for my taste, but pretty good anyway.

I usually find myself agreeing pretty strongly with Symon about electronics, but it seems we part company about gastronomy :-) Toast-racks are better described as "toast coolers". The ONLY way to eat toast is very soon after it emerges from the grill, which is why breakfast-time toast in English hotels is always such a disappointment.

--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

Jonathan Bromley

I should know better than to trifle with toast.

I did in fact consider 'marmalade applicator', but thought that 'jelly' would provide us with more breakfast language fodder.

I suspect one impediment to the widespread adoption of British Toaster Technology in the American kitchen is that the heated toast racks require a high-amperage DC supply having positive ground.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Davis

Bob Perlman said: We are an odd country: as you've suggested, we have very poor post-toasting technology, but we do have a cereal called Post Toasties. No one can explain this.

And we drive on parkways and park on driveways. And we "pre-drill" and "pre-heat". ;)

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

And you normally drive your cars on the pavement, which in Britain would be a good way to demolish a few pedestrians!

-- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services

Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK snipped-for-privacy@MYCOMPANY.com

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Reply to
Jonathan Bromley

Weird, I've been here a few years now and not heard that one. I think "jam sarnie" is the local vernacular I'm used to. I believe all this terminology is compliant with the EEC standard for Jams, Jellies and Marmalades (and sweetened chestnut purée):

Jam is like Jelly but created by a team of engineers: You can have it yesterday, tomorrow, but not today :-)

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones

And special people get to "pre-board" an airplane!

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

I don't know which is more intriguing: a cereal named Elijah's Manna (Now With 18% More Piety!), or the fact that Post Toasties has its own entry in Wikipedia. Truly, we are a species with too much time on its hands.

Bob Perlman Cambrian Design Works

Bob Perlman

the

toast

then - scary stuff - the pilot announces the plane "will be in the air momentarily"

(yikes! let me off now!)

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

I recently bought this:

and this:

and this:

I plan to create training movies on how to do SMT board assembly, SMT rework, and SMT repair. Any interest?

Philip

Philip Freidin Fliptronics

Reply to
Philip Freidin

Now all you need is a Gerber-driven solder paste dot printer! They exist, and news of an affordable unit for prototyping would be interesting.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Snip

For JTAG testing software, take a look at the onTAP software by Flynn systems at

It is less than $1000 USD. I use it, and have been very happy with it.

Regards,

John McCaskill

John McCaskill

Following up myself, the Essemtec CDS6700 solder paste printer seems to cost around $25,000. Not quite affordable ;-)

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
matt.oppenheim

Makes me wonder what it would cost to build x-y table and reuse a inkjet cartridge ;)

Reply to
pbgbbrsh

On a sunny day (23 Jan 2007 13:11:20 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@ludd.invalid wrote in :

Maybe with a DVD inkjet printer (like Epson R200), should hold a Eurocard

100x160. DVD is 120mm wide, it is in a tray that slides through the printer, no length limit. Costs 80 Euro to try...
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

100x160.

limit.

Do you think the solderpaste would get through the ink channels ..? Maybe it's viscosity is too high.

I also think that any ordinary underpriced inkjet will be just fine. Just bring the screwdriver. On a more serious side, increasing the distance between printheads and printer bottom. Then add some wagon to fasten the pcb into which is driven by the paperfeed mechanism.

I think the real blocker is the ink channel mechanism, once that is solved it depend mainly on precision of x-y table + diameter of the solderpaste drop.

5-10 mil should be enough precision on the maximum side?
Reply to
pbFJKD

100x160.

limit.

How about an old scanner, turned upside down, with the optics replaced by a paste syringe, pumped by either a stepper motor & leadscrew, or by something generating pulses of air pressure (which is how the professional rework stations do it)?

Reply to
David R Brooks

Add a printer "x-drive" to the scanner and the x-y is complete. Syringe pumped with leadscrew might work, albeit possible slow. The air pressure approach together with a magnetic valve may also work.

What do you think about a combined camera + very thin soldering iron to completly rid of the oven stage..?

Reply to
pbFJKD

On a sunny day (23 Jan 2007 20:47:59 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@ludd.invalid wrote in :

100x160.

limit.

Yes that may be a big problem. Maybe something could be done to make the paste more suitable.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje