other microprocessors with PLDs on chip?

After searching for a few days I stumbled across Cypress's pSOC. Can anyone point me to other vendors that have similar devices?

Thanks Jer

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry,

Look at the Triscend devices. We used their E5 solution in our company. Works great!

Cor

Reply to
Cor van Loos

anyone

How about Altera NIOS ()?

It's the same thing in reverse: a RISC core on a PLD.

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Jerry schrieb:

STMicroelectronis took over WSI's PSD business. They also have complete SOC chips (called µPSD).

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

As an alternative you can look also at Atmel : Their FPSLIC products include an AVR microcontroller and a small size FPGA (5-20K gates).

Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts

"Cor van Loos" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Works great!

anyone

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

Have you used the NIOS ? We are looking for an fpga and soft cpu combination, with the main contenders being Altera/NIOS and Xilinx/Microblaize. I'm swaying towards the NIOS, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you have any brief comments about it.

David

Reply to
David Brown

I've not use either, but have heard that the Microblaze is a lot better than the Nios.

Leon

-- Leon Heller, G1HSM Tel: +44 1424 423947 Email: aqzf13 at dsl dot pipex dot com WWW:

Leon Heller

I've not use either, but have heard that the Microblaze is a lot better than the Nios.

Leon

-- Leon Heller, G1HSM Tel: +44 1424 423947 Email: aqzf13 at dsl dot pipex dot com WWW:

Leon Heller

In what way is it better? I've heard mostly from marketting people and FAEs trying to sell us these systems, so even hearsay opinions are interesting - at least I can ask the FAEs for more details if necessary.

Reply to
David Brown

Both Xilinx (PowerPC) and Altera (ARM I think) do FPGA's with with microprocessors on chip. Same thing?

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Can

for microblaze and Nios also look in comp.arch.fpga

linux for microblaze linux for microblaze from University of Queensland by John Williams

mailing list

e/readme-1_00_e.pdf

had a look at opencores yet ?

don't forget you can buy lots of other ip cores. If you or your company has a preffered micro you can probably buy a version to embedd in a fpga.

For smaller stuff picoblaze picoblaze core free from xilinx

8 bit. programmable state machine
= will need to additionally register for this. is free.
registration page for picoblaze lounge

_resources.htm

aze%20Soft%20Processor picoblaze forum

picoblaze ide from=20

picoblaze resources

port extender for ksm

kcpsm is old name for picoblaze. Ken Chapman programmable state machine.

project on opencores using picoblaze as compact flash interface

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

pSOC does not really let you 'get at' the PLD sections, in the true meaning of Programmable Logic Devices.

Other vendors to look at are:

STm's uPSD family. True Single chip, ADC, On Chip DEBUG/FLASH, and true PLDs with 16 MCells and 32MCells comming. Industry Standard uC Core.

Triscend E5 : RAM based, (external loader needed) no ADC, but larger PLD fabric (FPGA).

Atmel FPSlic : Also RAM based, but with hard ceiling on uC code size, and only medium FPGA resource. No ADC.

FPGA Cored uC : Once you get above a certain threshold (lowering with time) it is better to use a standard FPGA, and include the uC as a compiled core. That way, you follow the process improvements, and get better value.

A new entrant is

and they support the ProASIC FLASH FPGAs, with a range of 8 bit industry standard cores.

Then there are the big players of Xilinx, Altera, Actel. Look for MicroBlaze.PicoBlaze and NIOS cores.

FPGA uC cores are by now reasonably mature, and proven, but the HW is not single chip - typically 3 are needed: FPGA itself, small Serial FLASH Bootloader and CODE.DATA RAM

It is _possible_ to squeeze to one chip (ProASIC), but the code.data size ceiling is quite small. [Block RAM defined]

Quickcores do show an interesting solution, of MANY

80C51 cores, each with 2K Code/256 RAM, for multi-processing tasks.

Any FPGA uC core solution ahould be 'reality checked' againat Standard FLASH uC + CPLD solution - which can offer ADC/DAC and on chip memory for good EMC.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

What a great set of replies. I looked up most of the suggested devices today at work. I didn't want to limit the replies by outlining all of the requirements. The desired solution is driven by COST, size, power consumption, flexibility. I spent some time looking at the Cypress pSOC since that appears on first glance to be the single chip solution. It is unfortunate that one cannot "tweak" the digital functions. Its just about there. I am now looking at a two chip solution, a PIC and a CPLD.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jer

Reply to
Jerry

The code size is very limited (36 KB shared with code and data). However, being RAM-based, the code can be swapped in/out if the application allows this. I do it with a human operated device. Depending on the menu selection, a different set of code + data + fpga is loaded from a Compact Flash card. As theoretical max, the FPGA can fill the AVR's code+data in less than 2ms.

Marc

Reply to
jetmarc