Serious Typo in the Xilinx Floating-Point Core Manual?

With regard to the speed-optimised single-precision floating-point core, look at:

Table 6: Latency of Speed Optimized Core (Page 10) Table 10: Characterization of Speed-Optimized Single-Precision Core (Page 18)

These are the characteristics of the speed-optimised floating-point cores from Xilinx. For virtex-4 there's a multiplier version that uses a single DSP48 block, as opposed to the standard 4x DSP48 version. My question is: What's the point of it? There's a pure logic one there that uses less slices, has a lower latency and operates as-near-as-damn-it at the same frequency. More to the point you're not throwing away a DSP48...

I've spoken to colleagues about this, and the best guess we can come to is that there's a typo, most likely on the slice count for the single DSP48 + slices version. Anyone know better?

Cheers,

Robin Bruce

Reply to
Robin Bruce

No this is not a typo, and yes, it does not make sense, and so this variant has been removed from v2.0 of the Xilinx floating-point operator core. (Note that the logic multiplier uses an optimized multiplier and so is pretty good in its utilization of resources). The release of v2.0 is imminent, and the 4x DSP single precision multiplier will be much faster and use less slices that v1.0.

Thanks,

Richard Walke

walke

Thanks Richard,

I knew I'd get a definitive answer here as quick as I could anywhere else :)

Robin Bruce

Reply to
Robin Bruce