SDRAM types and availability

I was discussing SDRAM a few weeks ago and I can't seem to find it in this newsgroup. I guess it had gone to email. I have finally had a chance to go on the web and take a look at some of the sources and I am finding information hard to come by. I only find four main companies making parts in either x32 arrangements or in small packages. They are Micron, Samsung, Elpida and Hynix. I know there are a few "also ran" companies making parts, but they don't seem to have the small packages or the wide bus.

Does anyone know if these parts in the small FBGA or TSSOPs packages are shipping and if the availability is good? Any other makers than the ones I listed above?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

I have found the Micron MT48LC4M32B2TG SDRAM , 128MB, x32 config in 86pin TSOP to be readily available and are designing them in and have found the FBGA package availability of this part a bit concerning ... at least for smaller volumes for a smaller company.

I also am going to buy production parts from the same vendor as my Cyclones ... so Mr. Salesman knows that he will only be receiving PO's for expensive parts if he gets my SDRAM.

my 2c , KB

Reply to
Khim Bittle

The main drivers in the SDRAM market are modules for computers. These seem to work best with x8 or x16 SDRAM chips. New x32 chips aren't so common. I recently had to source some DDRII SDRAM parts with a 32 bit bus, and ended up with two x16 parts. You may get lucky and find an older x32 part still in production (such as the one mentioned by Khim Bittle).

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman