scatter gather DMA in OPB MAC core

Hi all,

I wanted to know how scatter gather DMA is different from normal DMA operations.scatter gather DMA concept is used in OPB ethernet core. I am not getting any good resources on this .Suggesting any good links on scatter gather DMA would be appreciated.

rgds, prav

Reply to
prav

"Normal" DMA architectures define packet buffers with addresses that increment, that is, the set of buffers might occupy memory addresses

10000-1FFFF for a 64K-byte queue. This has the advantage that it's easy to implement, however it is inflexible, since each queue has a fixed size you set up at boot time (probably at design time, actually.) If you only have a few queues, or lots of memory, this is probably OK.

With "scatter-gather" architecture, on the other hand, each buffer might have a link to another buffer, or there might be an array (map) of addresses of buffers. You don't get from one buffer to the next by incrementing the address, you get there by following a pointer. This plan is better if you need lots of queues and they all don't have to be max size simultaneously. Scatter-gather lets you dynamically allocate memory to a queue on-demand, and make better use of memory.

-Stan

Reply to
Stan Lackey