running applications from external memory

Hello All,

> > I figured out how to run an application from external memory in Xilinx. > I have EDK ver 8.2.01i and an ML403 board. > What you do is "Mark to init BRAMs" on the default bootloop app in > the Applications window pane, update your bitstream and then load > it into the board using iMPACT. > Change your linker script using "Generate Link Script" for your > large application and set the .text section to SRAM. Rebuild your > app. >

I have done upto this in ML402 board.But I am not able to run program from external memory.

You also have to set the .boot section (0x00000010) to SRAM.

How to set the .boot section? Have I to create a new section and select memory as SRAM.But it shows "0 bytes" and I couldn't select the address - 0x00000010.And I am not able to run application from external memory.Pls.advice me.Thanks

Regards, R.Bal

Reply to
rbal

Hello rbal,

What I did when creating a new application was to also copy the linker script from "TestApp_Memory" and then configure that as my linker script. That used the BRAM. Then I used "Generate Link Script" and the size of the boot section was 0x00000010. Then I just used the combo box to select SRAM. So make sure that you create TestApp_Memory when you use BSB to set up your system. Later, after you successfully load your code with GDB, it seems to make a difference between clicking on the Run icon (small pic of running man) and using the drop- down menu Run command. If you don't click on the icon, but click on the menu Run command, it seems to work and stop on the breakpoint at the beginning of main, otherwise the GDB window goes blank and the message at the bottom of the window frame says "stopped".

Regards,

-James

rbal wrote:

Reply to
Jhlw

See

for this thread and see
for the original thread (just one message; you can't seem to reply in it any more): "Running an application from external memory in Xilinx".

As a followup, it seems that I d> Hello rbal,

Reply to
Jhlw

If I'm not mistaken, if you hit the "step out of" button at this point it will run to completion.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cunningham

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your message, but I'm trying to get debugging to successfully *start* reliably, not finish. Finishing is no problem. I would like to be able to select "Run" and have execution successfully stop on main() every time, instead of giving me a blank screen and "Stopped at fffffffb" at the bottom. It should say "Stopped at 26" or something like that, at the bottom, which it finally does after the multiple tries described by me previously. Any ideas? All I do, and all you should have to do, is click on the little "bug in a box" to launch XMD, and then the bug not in a box to launch GDB, which is the way it works when it's working. I build my bit file with the bootloop and load it with iMPACT, then use those bug icons in EDK, which eventually works. What are you supposed to know to do to make it work reliably,

-- which I'm eventually doing, since it finally works, but I still don't know what it is I'm doing that's finally making it work. Any ideas? Please see my previous messages for more description of my struggles:

Regards,

-Jim

Jeff Cunn>

Reply to
Jhlw

I just now tried, in XMD, after closing GDB when I got this problem: disconnect 0 connect ppc hw and tried GDB again, and this time it started properly, with my code in the window, stopped at the first brace of main(), and "Program stopped at line 26" showing on the bottom frame of the GDB window. So maybe that's it. After connecting with XMD, do the above disconnect and reconnect.

See previous messages in this thread, at

-Jim

Jhlw wrote:

Jhlw

I just now tried, in XMD, after closing GDB when I got this problem: disconnect 0 connect ppc hw and tried GDB again, and this time it started properly, with my code in the window, stopped at the first brace of main(), and "Program stopped at line 26" showing on the bottom frame of the GDB window. So maybe that's it. After connecting with XMD, do the above disconnect and reconnect.

See previous messages in this thread, at

-Jim

Jhlw wrote:

Jhlw

Hi,

Thanks for the inf. and your comments and frustrations about using GDB and XMD. I'll try and let you know.Thanks.

Regards, R.Bal

Jhlw wrote:

Reply to
rbal