Re: 'Virtual Grounds'

cfk,

Not "all", just one extra per Vcco power/ground pin pair is all that is required to reduce ground bounce by another 20% (roughly). The IO is set to a strong standard (ie GTL, PCI, CMOS 24 mA, etc.) and set to a logic '0'. The pin is connected to the ground plane just like a ground pin. Adding pins past the first leads to a very small improvement (not worth it).

Making these grounds adjacent to clock inputs, or Vref pins can also aid in the reduction of user pcb crosstalk. The packages already have 3X spacing for every Vref, which means that x-talk coupling to/from Vref pins is 1/9 that of the coupling to any other pin in the package (ie, the package is not the 'problem').

Austin

cfk wrote:

And just to add a little spice to that broth, it was suggested one of the > local Xilinx support folks on our last design to ground all the unused IOB > pins and create more of a "virtual ground" (their term, not mine). > > > We will be designing with a large (xc2v6000) Virtex-II part in a ball-grid > > array package that has maybe ~1000 balls, but we are using fairly few > (~250) > > "mission logic" I/O. Add in power & ground, configuration, etc., we will > > have 100's of general-purpose I/O balls that are not needed. > > > > What should we do with them? Ground them? Let them float? If we can let > them > > float, do we even need a solder pad on the PWB for them to "land on"? > > > >
Reply to
Austin Lesea

Does it do any good to use a similar setup for power?

Hal Murray

Hal,

Vcc bounce is hardly an issue with most designs. That is why it is not often considered.

Ground bounce affects everything: slicing level, jitter, timing, function of the device (etc).

Vcc bounce my affect IO output timing, jitter, but is generally a second order effect.

You can use "virtual Vcco" pins as well, but it is rare that it is done (and ends up being useful).

Aust> >Not "all", just one extra per Vcco power/ground pin pair is all that is

required

Reply to
Austin Lesea

the

Thanks.

Why the asymmetry?

I'd expect TTL type inputs (referenced to 2 diodes above ground) to be sensitive to ground bounce only, but what about others?

I thought the reference for CMOS was roughly 1/2 way between Vcc and Ground. Wouldn't that wiggle if Vcc wiggled?

Is PECL referenced to Vcc?

Hal Murray

the

Yes. What separates the issue on FPGA and bigger CPLD, is the core Vcc is not the same pins as Vcc[io] - whilst bounce on the common GND can disturb the core (where it is certainly noticed :) Vcc[io] bounce WILL disturb the IO threshold, but most digital signals pass thru the threshold very quickly. In a jitter paranoid application, you could expect to notice Vcc related crosstalk.

Outputs are emitter followers on open collectors, so yes. PECL is normally differential, so you get PSR that way, plus you also reduce any spikes, due to the balance drive.

- jg

Reply to
Jim Granville