Power Supply grounds

I have a B+K Precision 1651 DC Power Supply.

On the front panel, there's a banana jack marked "Ground" . The manual describes it only as "Earth and Chassis ground".

What I'm wondering is whether this is a connector that provides access to ground, or if it's a connector that I'm supposed to connect to ground.

My cheapo Radio Shack soldering station has a ground banana connector on the back, and it has a two-conductor power cord, so I know it's not access to ground but rather something that should be connected to ground. (And to the ground of whatever I'm soldering on, but that's another issue.)

But the Power Supply has a three-conductor power cord. It's chassis and case should be grounded through that. Could I then use that banana connector to ground my soldering iron, wrist strap, etc.?

I guess I'm just not sure what sort of protections people use when they're working on static-sensitive devices. I've done little of it, and I've had pretty good luck.

My understanding is I want to common-ground everything - work, soldering iron, power supply, worktop anti-static mat, wrist strap, etc. - and to connect that common ground to ground. Connect it all together and connect it to the ground of the household mains. (And make sure that the mains are actually grounded - wired to a cold water pipe.)

Is that the case?

And if so, would the Power Supply ground connector be an effective way of connecting everything on the desktop to the mains ground? Given my desktop layout, it'd certainly be the most convenient way. But would it work?

--
It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker
that we expect our supper, but from their regard to their own interest.

The ground connector on the power supply is connected to the frame (box it is in) and that should be connected to the ground wire on the power plug. Hopefully you are working where the AC power ground is a real ground.

When working with static sensitive devices, the object is to get them all to the same electrical potential. Hopefully ground out any static charges to the earth. Yes, the way to do it is to connect everything together and find a wire or water pipe that is actually going to the ground. With many places using plastic pipe , the old cold water pipe ground may not actually make it to the earth electrically. If using a wrist strap, make sure it has a high value resistor on the lead to the ground. You want it high enough that if you do contact the 120 VAC wiring for some reason it will not pass enough current to harm you. Something in the range of about 1 meg will usually do it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I could, I suppose, check that with my multi-meter.

It's an old house, with cast-iron mains.

I bought a wrist strap, I didn't make my own. And like all commercially manufactured grounding straps, it has a honking big (1 MOhm) resister in series.

--
There are three kinds of men.  The one that learns by reading.  The few
who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric