Re: Intel announces new FPGA families

I think the FPGA market has bifurcated into (at least) two quite distinct markets:

- the small, low cost, low power segment, where people want a programmable chip of the scale of a small CPU like a Z80 or an m68k, maybe in a small package like a BGA256. Quite a lot of crossover with CPLDs.

- the server/etc market where the chips are as complex, expensive and power hungry as a modern Xeon

Since being bought by Intel, Altera seemingly have pushed strongly towards the latter - not terribly surprising given it's Intel.

For the former, I think we increasingly have to look away from Altera and Xilinx and towards the smaller players like Lattice and Microsemi, and maybe some of the Chinese firms.

Theo

Reply to
Theo