Maximum Current Draw of FPGA

Well, as a user of these parts, I'll give you a few :)

[Relates to all packages I have ever used]

  1. What is the maximum ICC of a particular Vcco? This relates directly to block I/O Pd.

  2. What *is* the maximum power dissipation of a particular I/O block? I/O blocks are at the edge; as such they have their own power / heat issues. Knowing what the maximums are would help. You could spec max temp, provided you **thoroughly** specified the I/O block so I could calculate it based on speed, incidentally.

  1. What is the thermal distribution profile? There is core, and there is I/O. Each has their own effect on the die, but it may well be important to me to know that profile (it has been in the past).

  2. What is the thermal profile of the Clock managers? When things get fast, they also get hot. I need to know the power dissipation of a DCM based on inputs and outputs.

I am sure others will drop their comments in :)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

i suppose you mean the maximum allowed Icc, an absolute max specification.

In Virtex-4 and all future Virtex parts, the I/O is no longer at the periphery

speed, strength, voltage, output loading, dc and capacitive....

I personally think that this is a secondary effect, given the thermal properties of silicon. Just my opinion.

Same as above.

They are welcome. But let's keep the tone civilized. Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Ask, and ye shall ...

See below,

Austin

-snip-

What standard? What load?

Perhaps you do not have a signal integrity simultion tool?

Or Hspice? Since it is YOUR problem, all we can do is provide with the tools to answer it.

We provide the IBIS and spice models you need to do this.

What standard? What load? See answer above.

By the way, some devices have IOBs in the interior (all V4 and V5).

Are you concerned about thermal gradient? Don't be: we do that engineering so you do not have to. Worry about maximum power dissipation and Tj. There are estimation tools, and finally, better tools to figure power (XPower) but it requires you to have good simulation vectors (just like you would if you had the same ASIC estimation requirement).

Nope. You do not. We do the hard part, so you do not have to.

If you feel like designing ASICs, go get a job doing that. I am not stopping you. If you want to design FPGAs, submit a resume (we are hiring).

Reply to
Austin Lesea

hi

seems like you problems would be solved if only LED manufactures made surface mount LET.

= Light Emitting Transistor

not impossible, an would only draw a base current much less than collectoer current. would be three pin and more complex production, but would save on possible buffers.

the output dive on the fpga is limited by current heating, which is not that high in the off or on states, but high capacitance led would dissipate large Watts in output of fpga.

second factor is resistive loss in bond wires, have to be of a certain size to fit so many on the chip. maybe vcc drops on chip due to heat and cannot switch as fast reliably, so try a lower speed operation?

pulse the led output at 20% mark to 80% space as you will not notice too much above 100Hz and save power too.

use high efficiency led, as i understand they are less than 10% efficient anyhow.

wire half the other way with 0 = on instead of 1 = on to distribute power drain between + and - rails.

cheers

OFSIC in design, at documentation interface stage. then we shall move onto code.

Reply to
jacko

i am in the market for employment.

london area, min 500 uk pound per wk. pro rata 40 hrs.

parttime prefered, about 20hrs per wk.

can only telework if get full time internet, and rented place.

c.v. e.g.

cheers

Reply to
jacko

Mostly Spartan 3:

- Resource sharing on IOBs, multipliers and blockrams

- Internal routing of local IOB clocks (for DDR memory purposes)

- Minimum and maximum delays, setup / hold for all elements. Now I have to use the timing analyzer to get these numbers.

- Other stuff I don't know about -yet-

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Green LED on 3.3V over 390R is more like 3mA, not 20mA.

I = (3.3V - 2.1V)/390R < 3.1mA

Also: I prefer to connect the positive end of the LED to VCC end pull the other end low by the FPGA. This way the stronger NMOS transistors are used. GTL drivers of Spartan-2 sink 200mA.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

This is getting to be quite a big area; see Gradient/Firebolt

Apache/Sahara
and so on. The spin is that you have to control for temperature distribution across your chip at sub-90nm.

You've got an interesting problem here, since you don't know how your chips are going to be used.

Evan

Reply to
Evan Lavelle

Nico,

Thank you. Steve Knapp reads this newsgroup for the Spartan division, and I am sure he will appreciate your comments. I am part of the Virtex team, so as these may also apply there, I will make sure the data sheet folks get this feedback, also.

I know that we cover quite a bit of what you listed in our user guides: V4 -

V5 -

Since Spartan 3 does not have a users guide, perhaps this is part of the problem? 3E also does not have a users guide. Not sure why that division didn't do user's guides; they are a separate business group, and they need to make their customers happy, just as we do.

Thanks for the constructive feedback,

Aust> Aust>

Reply to
Austin Lesea