ISE 8.2 Strange cache problem? Warning...

I am working on a little project using the 8.203i tools. P&R is taking quite a long time now. Was in the middle of a build and realized I had forgot something. Selected STOP in the Implement menu and did the immediate kill thing. Waited about 15 seconds and it was still cranking along, so I brought up task manager and killed the whole program (figured it would be faster). BIG MISTAKE!!! I relaunch ISE and the project is now corrupt. No problem, I reload my backup. Rerun ISE and the project is still corrupt. I stop every task having to do with ISE and try again, still corrupt. I reboot the PC and try again, still corrupt. I erase the entire directory and copy an much older version into the same area, still corrupt. Try a different project. Works fine.

It appears that ISE is trying to help me out in some way be remembering something about this project that is stored in some area that I have no idea about.

To get around this, I had to re-create the entire project file in the same directory. Then I copied my last project over the top of it. This solved it.

I guess the rule is, never kill ISE to save time. If anyone knows about this cache feature and how to flush it, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks

Reply to
lecroy7200

Hi Lecroy,

I had a similar thing happen to me, although not related to an "immediate stop". I tried to restore the project from the backup, and it appeared to be broken, too -- just like you observe. The same backup restored fine on a different workstation, so the fault was not in the project folder but rather in some ISE cache.

The solution was to do the following:

- delete c:\documents and settings\Admin\Temp\*

- restore the project from the backup

- touch -m * in the top folder and the vhdl folder of the project

- open the project in ISE, clean it, and close it

- touch -m * again

If the backup is dated, you should replace the restored sources with the latest copy right before doing the last step of the procedure.

I found this out the hard way (took me almost a whole day). May it help you (and others).

Kind regards, Marc

Reply to
jetmarc

I think your right. On Windows 2000, in the \documents and settings \MYUSERNAME.DOMAIN\Local Settings\Temp there are several Xilinx temp files. Thanks for posting!

Reply to
lecroy7200