Is this Multi-Cycle Path ?

Hi all, I have a design which has 15 blocks. Data enters from 1st block and after 60 clocks comes out from 15th block. I control enabling of each block by using a counter which counts till

60 at each clock (same clock as above). So this counter output(say count) goes to every block and every block has statements something like this :

Blcok 1: If count >=2 than

-----Do something end if;

Blcok 2: If count >=4 than

-----Do something end if;

Blcok 3: If count >=7 than

-----Do something end if;

Blcok 4: If count >=18 than

-----Do something end if;

...............and so on.

Blcok 15: If count >=18 than

-----Do something end if;

My question is that is the data going in block 1 and being processed through all the blocks and than coming out of block 15 will be a Multi-Cycle path ? And why ?

Thanks Ved

Reply to
Ved

You don't show any data flow in the pseudo code, but in general the definition of a multicycle path is when the output of a flip-flop is not sampled on the next active edge of the clock after the signal changes. This would occur for example if data that only transitions while "count" is odd is only sampled while "count" is odd. In this case there would always be 2 clock cycles for data to settle after changing before it is sampled.

Also I'm not sure but do you really mean >= (greater or equal) in your comparisons? This would seem to imply you generally don't have Multi-Cycle paths, since each block could run on a number of consecutive clock cycles.

HTH, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor