Inferring RAM from array of records

A coworker asked me if I knew of a problem with synthesis tools inferring RAM (Xilinx is the target) from an array of records, versus an array of std_[u]logic_vector. He was using XST; I haven't had a chance to try Synplify or Precision.

Is anyone aware of specific limitations along this line? Or which tools support this coding construct?

JTW

Reply to
jtw