How to protect fpga based design against cloning?

It's much better: The battery, including its holder is

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Why would this be better for small devices, when the Virtex-II triple-DES decoder is free. It really is, since it is implemented in every device in a chip area you cannot use for anything else. That's what I call "free", you gain nothing by not using it. Well, you need a $1.00 watch battery... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

We have been using a rechargeable lithium battery ($1.25 / 4mAh) that is soldered directly to the PCB. Add a low leakage diode and a current limiting resistor for a recharger circuit and you do not need to worry about replacement. The only requirement is that the board be powered up for a few hours every couple of years. The only issue that we have with this is that the batteries can't tolerate the oven, and must be hand soldered.

Regards, Erik Widding.

--
Birger Engineering, Inc. -------------------------------- 617.695.9233
100 Boylston St #1070; Boston, MA 02116 -------- http://www.birger.com

Uh, sorry peter. Give me a normal bitfile and $200k to write the software the first time (overpay me) and I'll be able to back-annotate it at least to the placed EDIF netlist, as long as the architecture is supported by Jbits.

Why reverse engineer the bitstream when Xilinx has already given a tool which can go from a bitstream to a model of the device at the PIP level, which can then be programmatically run back to the connection and LUT functionality level.

Nicholas C. Weaver

Consider that, (from the Xilinx web site) there are Virtex2 devices with

125136 logic cells, and over 8 megabytes of configuration information. A hex dump of the configuration file, 80 characters per line, 60 lines per page, would be over 3000 pages long, and not readable by anyone.

The netlist might be 100 times as long, or 300,000 pages. That is a stack of paper about 100feet (30m) tall. Now, say you print that out, and maybe wear out a few printers while doing it. Now you want to change one node. How long will it take to find that node?

There are smaller devices, and maybe one could work their way through the netlist. I think, though, for anything bigger than an XC4002 it would be hard to get much useful information out of even a netlist.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

: No problem in the US. China is another story, where IP rip-off is : business as usual. Cultural change doesn't happen overnight.

If I look at US patents, espexially those Internet relates, there's no difference...

Uwe Bonnes

Erik, are you not in danger of over charging the battery?

Don't phone batterys degrade fairly quickly if they're constantly trickle charged rather than being fully discharged then re-charged? Are the characteristics of your batterys different? Have you done any long term tests with this set up?

Are your boards only likely to be powered up every now and then to stop this happening?

I'm not trying to pick holes, just interested.

Nial

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Nial,

You will not damage or over-charge the battery if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

It is amazing how few engineers have even looked at, read, and used the data sheets for a battery.

It is a component just like any other: study it, learn its characteristics, and then design it in.

You can blow out any component you want, caps, resistors, transistors, and batteries, too if you do not read the datasheet.

Go look thru the design guides for the battery chemistry you want to use: you will be glad you did.

Aust> > We have been using a rechargeable lithium battery ($1.25 / 4mAh)

Reply to
Austin Lesea

data

characteristics,

I don't know the details, but Li ion is very different from NiCd. Some years ago all we had was NiCd, charged at 0.1C (take the milliamp-hour rating, divide by 10, and charge at that many milliamps) for 14 hours. That was all anyone needed to know.

Now there are so many different battery chemistries, each with its own charging characteristics and discharge characteristics.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

Glen,

As I said, just look it up.

Aust> > Nial,

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Well, you've already greatly abstracted things once you go through the Jbits model, you really DO have the functional, LUT-mapped netlist when you are done with the pushbutton.

What one wants to do AFTER that is up for debate, but it is machine-readable at that point, so one could start to build higher level tools to go from there. Give enough money and reason, and the tools would get written.

What my point is is that one doesn't have to reverse engineer the bitstream: Xilinx has done that already.

Nicholas C. Weaver

harging.pdf

Probably the one who wants to build the thing should look it up. Though I might want to know why my cell phone battery died.

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

stack

maybe

So how much money to get from 8 megabytes of configuration to commented VHDL code?

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

Followup to: By author: "Nial Stewart" In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

The much-hyped "memory effect" of certain battery technologies have actually been disproven in quite a few tests -- what it really is all about is overcharging. Some chargers would simply give full power for X amount of time, and if the battery wasn't fully discharged at the start of the cycle it would get overcharged.

Overcharging causes massive heat dissipation inside the battery, and can cause the battery matrix to crack, thus causing the battery to degrade.

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.

"Peter Alfke" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com...

Because batteries are big, expensive and unreliable.

$1 watch battery doesn't last much at 85 degrees C. And when it's finished (hopefully without exploding or corroding the circuit with his acid), the customer needs to send back the device to me, because the key is lost.

I think the public/protected key technique is far more reliable and simple.

--
Lorenzo
Reply to

How do you PROTCET the secret in the FPGA. THAT is the key.

Once you can get a secret in the FPGA, the rest is easy, and private key (eg DES) is actually better for that. AS for keeping the secret in the FPGA, the two options are antifuze/EEPROM style or battery style. And battery -backup is much more effective/easy as it doesn't require process changes.

Nicholas C. Weaver

"Nicholas C. Weaver" ha scritto nel messaggio news:bo0pgq$bpr$ snipped-for-privacy@agate.berkeley.edu...

You will have the same security problems with a key stored into an internal RAM:

-Are you going to do a brute force attack? Then the way the key is stored is irrilevant;

-Are you going to open the chip, put a probe after the decrypt circuit and read the unencrypted bitstream? Then the algorithm (as well as the key) is irrilevant;

-Are you going to open the chip and reverse-engineer the decrypt circuit? Then it's more easy to read a key stored into a SRAM, rather than figure out how works a decrypt circuit with an hardwired key.

The only security problem with the "hardwired private key" is that if someone manages to to steal the secrey key to the manufacturer, he will be able to decrypt all the bitfiles encrypted with its public key. But this is a matter of enterprise security and social engineering, not a technical issue.

--
Lorenzo
Reply to

The battery that we use is a Niobium-Lithium (NBL) from Panasonic. More information:

Austin's post that parallels this one, makes the very important point that few engineers bother to understand battery chemistry or even read the data sheets (Nial - this is not directed at you).

The major point is Lithium-Ion batteries have a bunch of problems that are a trade off against the extremely high energy per unit volume, and the capability of providing high currents (discharge entire battery in 1 hour), that makes them desireable for cell phones for example.

NBL batteries are basically everything that a LiIon battery isn't. Very low self discharge (2%/year), not capable of providing much current (discharge the entire battery in no less than 400 hours) and with probably the crappiest energy per unit volume rating of any commercially viable battery on the market. This is the perfect (or as perfect as was available two years ago when we qualified it for design use) battery chemistry for this application.

There are a lot of battery chemistries available. No single chemistry is right for every application. With fuel cells on the way shortly, we will soon have yet another option to understand.

Regards, Erik Widding.

--
Birger Engineering, Inc. -------------------------------- 617.695.9233
100 Boylston St #1070; Boston, MA 02116 -------- http://www.birger.com
Reply to
Erik Widding

Barring a MAJOR breakthrough in cryptanalysis, you CAN'T brute force

3DES or AES. A 112/128 bit keysize (3DES, AES 128-bit) is so large that anything short of lots of sci-fi nanotech are not gonna cut it.
Nicholas C. Weaver

Actually the main problem with that batter is the word lithium :-) something about the quantity allowed on airplanes :-)

Reply to
Simon Peacock