Free x86 IP-Core is really working!

seeing is beliving :)

the modelsim precompiled version was offered by HT-LAB for free for some time, but that did not trigger my curiosity level - but now as also EDIF version are available its really simple and easy to test drive the CPU86 ipcore in FPGA! it took about 1 hour to get the core todo something in an Virtex4, the utilization in FX12 was 51% of the slices.

there is ChipScope Pro snapshot of the first succesfull test.

and the CPU86 is from HT-LAB

Antti

Hans are you here?

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Antti,

I am happy to see you managed to get it up and running although using the serial port might have been easier than using chipscope. I will add an 8254 and 8259 (required for a minimum system) as soon as my workload reduces a bit (probably around Christmas) If only I had some more "spare" time...... :-)

Regards, Hans.

Hans

"Hans" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:PtSlf.6121$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

Hi Hans,

spare time for Christmas - thats I suppose the ultimate wish of all of us :)

using serial port would not have been easier as I should have added a DCM to supply proper clock, and I did have any RAM in the system only the bootstrap ROM. I just wanted to make a REALquick inFPGA test.

yes having a 8259+8254 would be cool or even better a minimal "PC" setup :) when I wrote my 8086 ipcore I also started the 8254 etc ipcores but they are not completed

another idea what I would really like to see is some sort of 'virtual' mode where the cpu could fall back into shadow supervisor mode and emulate unimplemented hardware or instruction, with an FPGA IP core it would be really easy to implement (sure not by editing the EDIF..)

Antti PS Hans I have some realworld customer queries about x86 ipcore as well so please contact me in private as well

Reply to
Antti Lukats

"Hans" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:PtSlf.6121$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

Hi Hans,

it wasnt so complex, but for those who would like to speed test drive it I just uploaded the ISE Virtex4 project I used in testing, its basically just the files from your website with minor fixes to get it working in Virtex4

there is the IP-Core "Review" and link to the project archive

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats