fpga4fun

Hi

I saw this cool project on fpga4fun on 10baseT ethernet. it's so cool needs only 2 lines. like rs-232. I like to try it, but my board has this LXT972 chip (ethernet PHY thingy, like those MAXxxxx rs-232 voltage convertor thingy) sitting between my x2cv2000 fpga and the connector. it has so many pins that i don't know what to do with them.

Can someone know about voltage and stuff tell me how to do. can i rewire say 2 of the 5 rs-232 lines to be used as Ethernet_TDp and Ethernet_TDm ?

thanks.

Reply to
Paul

If your board RJ45 connector is hard-wired to the PHY chip, you can't use it, you need to buy a separate RJ45 connector and wire it manually to 2 IOs of the FPGA. Jean

Reply to
Jean Nicolle

It's called MII, and is quite a simple interface. Had you tried reading the datasheet?

Note: the LXT972 does 4B5B code conversions (when in 100Base-T mode) or Manchester encoding (when in 10Base-T mode). It is not a simple voltage level converter like a MAX232.

If you want a truly Ethernet standard interface you should stick with the hardware you have. Otherwise, you can use Jan's interface if you have access to some spare I/O pins.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman