Progamming a device on an IDE bus

I'm starting a project that would emulate a DVD drive on an IDE bus for the purpose of being able to use a USB flash drive in a DVD player. I will be using an x86 single board computer (Prometheus-LC) with DOS on it and programming it with turbo c. I'm using a apex 600a (Havn't gotten it in the mail yet but I won it on ebay.) I Have a few questions about about the task at hand. First of all does anybody know what version of the IDE/ATA bus the apex 600A uses? Another question is if anybody knows of any tutorials/libraries/drivers that would be helpful. There is so much information about the IDE/ATA bus I don't know where to start. I have some experience with embedded systems programming but never have interfaced an IDE bus. Has anyone else written a driver to program DOS to act as a device on an IDE bus?

Reply to
shadow151

Doesn't work that way. The IDE bus is not bidirectional, and will not work like that, without actual special hardware.

Why do you want to 'use a USB flash drive in a DVD player.' ? There are almost certainly better ways.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes, it's very simple. Just need the right V compiler to handle a simple data structure such as:

entity ide is port ( data : inout bit_vector(15 downto 0); addr: in bit_vector(3 downto 0); select: in bit_vector(2 downto 0); read: in bit; write: in bit; ... )

Reply to
linnix