DMA with ipif / user_logic

Hi!

For a small project running Linux on a Virtex2pro, I need to write an IP-component, that recive data from portpins and can transfer data to RAM directly. I'm tring to understand DMA, generated by Xilinx EDK (8.2) wizzard. I think, I've understand some basics. Afer writing the datalength in the register, the transfer will begin. Correct? Writing datalength, source- and destinationaddress is done by the driver? But how cat I write data from the user_logic to the memory?

Reply to
berton

Hi,

What kind of developement board are you working with? Are you working with a PCI-based dev board? I've worked with a Spartan3 dev board in Linux and have managed to successfully achieve DMA transfers.

Best, Ian

Reply to
idp2

thanks for answering! We are working with the xilinx xup v2p with a patched linux 2.6 kernel.

Reply to
berton

Have you looked at this yet? It has a pretty good section on reading and writing to RAM that should answer most of your questions.

Ian

Reply to
idp2

sorry, what you mean exact?