Centos 5.1 linux, Xilinx 9.2, Spartan 3E-1600 board (USB) programming

I have a 32-bit (x86) Centos 5.1 installation with Xilinx Webpack

9.2i.04 and EDK 9.2.

I first started with Xilinx AR #22648. (i.e., I downloaded install_drivers.tar.gz) I hadn't payed much attention during Centos's installation-screen, so onw I found out I was missing a bunch of development libraries, tools (gcc), etc. After a few hours of waiting for yum to install the necessary dev-environment tools, I got as far as install_drivers telling me it couldn't find various files.

A few of these were obvious to fix -- Centos 5.1 sets up the dir-tree with only partially correct version-identifiers, and these broke the script's assumptions. After several hours of frustration, I gave up with getting the Platform USB driver to run under Centos 5.1.

Thankfully, a few google-searches turned up a lifesaving workaround (for me, anyway) :

At first it didn't work. Centos puts 'fxload' in /usr/sbin, though this could have been due to my other counterproductive attempts to compile windrvr6. After I created a symlink in /sbin/fxload -> /usr/sbin/fxload, unplugged and replugged the FPGA-board, iMPACT worked! It could see the board, and download bitstreams to the Spartan-3E.

Sorry for the lack of details in this post -- as you can tell, I'm kind of a novice linux/unix person. (I've used it for years, but only as a 'dumb-user' and not an administrator.) I'm kind of intimidated with the difficulty in bringing up a simple linux FPGA-dev environment.

I should have listened to all the advice and stuck with a Linux 2.4 kernel (Centos 3)!

Reply to
root