ByteBlaster with USB<->PP adapter?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Altera Quartus II (3.0+) will let me use a parallel port to USB adapter? I just got a new machine, in part so I could upgrade to 3.0 from 2.2 (and in part so everything would go faster), but it doesn't have a parallel port! I basically have three options: waste the only PCI slot in the machine for a parallel port card, use a USB adapter, or special-order a manufacturer-special parallel port interface for the machine with unknown lead time.

The question is basically: does Quartus II rely on it being a serial port interface with the traditional I/O ports, or does it handle anything that can drive a printer?

Shelling out $300 for the yet-not-in-existence USB-Blaster cable is not realistic, nor is $500 for MasterBlaster which doesn't even handle the active serial configuration devices.

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.

I believe that it treats the port as a bit bashed parallel port and as such requires it to look exactly like a parallel port. so unless the USB parallel port has the same registers, it won't work. But this is just a belief.

I would suggest you waste a PCI port.. but make sure that the parallel port card you buy can be returned if it doesn't work. Not all parallel ports are created equal.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Peter,

I asked the experts at Altera, and they verified that using a parallel port to USB adapter will not work.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Followup to: By author: "Subroto Datta" In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

Thanks. I ended up finding a vendor which carried the proprietary parallel port interface (really just a special cable plugging into a nonstandard header on the motherboard -- had they used a standard header the problem would have been solved long ago) for this machine and could deliver it with a reasonable lead time; FedEx is supposed to deliver it today.

A USB solution would have been nicer because of portability, of course.

-hpa