Basic cheap fpga configuration

Hi there,

Please excuse my quite probably lame, simple question but I've been searching on the net for a while and haven't really answered myself yet!

I'm not at all used to programming fpga's, as my work has only ever been with ASICs, and on a customer level. Now I've aquired some small 15k fpga's (XC2S15's) to put small state machines in, however I'm not entirely sure how to hold my bitstream. Now the official flash prom's seem very expensive to me (at least at my supplier). I read the xapp079 app note and realise I could use a parallel eeprom. Now, could I use something like the AT29 flash PEROM from Atmel for this? Can I program it using the download cable - it doesn't seem to have a JTAG, so I don't get how to do this without a seperate programmer for the device.

Would someone mind just walking me through my options like I'm a baby!? I'm a hobbiest, so I really want to do it on the cheap and don't want to buy any tools etc.

Many thanks,

Andy Main.

Reply to
Andy Main

yet!

been

prom's

xapp079

program

don't

I looked on the web for XCF01SVO20C and got a web price of $3.15 If this is expensive to you, I don't see what you're going to do with the AT29 flash. This is a 1Mbit part big enough to program about 5 of your XC2S15's if you chain them. It has JTAG and works with the Xilinx iMPACT software. Good luck doing better with less effort.

baby!?

Gabor

Much better, though I can't find any in the UK (RS/Farnell) - only the huge Virtex proms that made me think all this in the fist place. If anybody knows a suitable supplier for low quantity purchases please let me know. I'd be very grateful.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Main

Hi Andy,

Maybe goto

Laurent Gauch

Laurent Gauch

Looked good until I got to the checkout - $75 delivery charge for 8 of these!!

Thanks anyway,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Main